serangoon or tampines jc? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » serangoon or tampines jc?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2009, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
tky35 is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Oct 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

serangoon or tampines jc?

Here's my score

English : c5(screwed)
Emaths;A1
Amaths;A2
Chemistry:A2
Physics:B3
C.Humans:A2
POA:A2
Chinese:A2


Having a serious dilemma of whether to put serangoon jc or tampines jc as my 1st choice. Serangoon jc is just a 5 mins journey away from my house but i heard that the probability of entering University is quite low.(heard that is because of the culture) I have direct bus from my house to tampines jc but it will take about 30 mins to reach there. Anyone can give me advice?

Sponsors:
tky35 is offline  
Add to tky35's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
JDC
Addicted SGClubber
JDC is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 522
Join Date: Aug 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

SRJC lah..save the hassle of travelling.. if u are hardworking... confirm can get results to go uni

JDC is offline   Add to JDC's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
A Levels H1 & H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC
UltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of light

 
UltimaOnline's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,205
Join Date: Aug 2008
Likes: 110
Liked 260 Times in 235 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Originally Posted by tky35 View Post
Here's my score

English : c5(screwed)
Emaths;A1
Amaths;A2
Chemistry:A2
Physics:B3
C.Humans:A2
POA:A2
Chinese:A2

Having a serious dilemma of whether to put serangoon jc or tampines jc as my 1st choice. Serangoon jc is just a 5 mins journey away from my house but i heard that the probability of entering University is quite low.(heard that is because of the culture) I have direct bus from my house to tampines jc but it will take about 30 mins to reach there. Anyone can give me advice?

TPJC 1st choice
SRJC 2nd choice

The reason why SRJC students suffer, is because they're overworked and overstressed by the school management. TPJC has a healthier, more relaxed culture, which helps them perform better.

__________________
A Level H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC (located near VJC and TJC)
UltimaOnline is offline   Add to UltimaOnline's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
YogurtIcecream will become famous soon enough

 
YogurtIcecream's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,521
Join Date: May 2008
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Originally Posted by UltimaOnline View Post
TPJC 1st choice
SRJC 2nd choice

The reason why SRJC students suffer, is because they're overworked and overstressed by the school management. TPJC has a healthier, more relaxed culture, which helps them perform better.
Put TPJC 1st and SRJC 2nd choice.
Unless you want to have more rest and less hassle with travelling time.

YogurtIcecream is offline   Add to YogurtIcecream's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
JetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really nice

 
Posts: 3,775
Join Date: Feb 2008
Likes: 118
Liked 181 Times in 129 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Coming from a guy who got 12 points, and went to SRJC, then got ABC A2 for A levels and currently in NIE, I personally believe it doesn't make a difference where you go to. I have friends from both SRJC and TPJC right now who are not happy with school environment and teachers. So it's really up to you and how you make the most of it.

But I prefer SRJC for one major reason. Because they get the bottom end of the national JC cohort, they "treat you like idiots" when they teach, and their notes are very detailed compared to better JCs (I've seen TPJC and SAJC's notes, so trust me..). And I think in JC, you could use all the rest time you can get. So the travel time can make a diff.. I believe it's abt 40 mins journey from SRJC to TPJC.. That extra 1 hr plus (2 way trip).. can be used as a power nap..

JetGrey added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by UltimaOnline View Post
TPJC 1st choice
SRJC 2nd choice

The reason why SRJC students suffer, is because they're overworked and overstressed by the school management. TPJC has a healthier, more relaxed culture, which helps them perform better.
I beg to differ.. I don't feel that the school management apply too much pressure on them. It's the students' attitudes.. Was there for 2 years.. I've seen the good and the bad in the school

JetGrey added 5 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by tky35 View Post
Here's my score

English : c5(screwed)
Emaths;A1
Amaths;A2
Chemistry:A2
Physics:B3
C.Humans:A2
POA:A2
Chinese:A2


Having a serious dilemma of whether to put serangoon jc or tampines jc as my 1st choice. Serangoon jc is just a 5 mins journey away from my house but i heard that the probability of entering University is quite low.(heard that is because of the culture) I have direct bus from my house to tampines jc but it will take about 30 mins to reach there. Anyone can give me advice?
The reason why less people from SRJC go to uni is because SRJCians are among the tail end of the national JC cohort. You have to accept the fact that not 100% of JC students go to uni even if everyone passes everything. So, obviously, as the tail end, less people actually progress on to uni. But if you're good enough, and don't slack off, you can get good a level results. And that's all that matters. Uni admission only considers your results, not where you were studying at. If you got the exact same results as a RJC student, then both of you are at the same level when it comes to being chosen for a uni course.


Last edited by JetGrey; 13th January 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
JetGrey is offline   Add to JetGrey's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
falltolove is on a distinguished road

 
falltolove's Avatar
 
Posts: 67
Join Date: Jul 2007
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

I also live near Srjc but go to Tpjc instead. The travelling time isnt that long, abt half an hour I think its kinda okay.
Tpjc is soo not slack. I think either way whichever school you go to you'd still hate studying!

__________________
xoxo.
falltolove is offline   Add to falltolove's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
princess-selina will become famous soon enough

 
princess-selina's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,628
Join Date: Jul 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

TPJC is definitely better xD

princess-selina is offline   Add to princess-selina's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Sierra. will become famous soon enough

 
Sierra.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 513
Join Date: Apr 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

u really dont want to waste too much time on travelling. time can be better spent on other areas. i guess if u're willing and confident that u'll be hardworking in sch, then u shouldn't worry too much about others. just stay focused and u'll be fine. i was from SRJC, currently in NUS.

but it's true that SRJC's culture is a bit more laid back as compared to most JCs. back during my batch, only 40% of our cohort made it to a local uni. by that i refer to NUS, NTU & SMU. i guess it's all up to the individual.

Sierra. is offline   Add to Sierra.'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
New SGClubber
chinz is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Originally Posted by JetGrey View Post
Coming from a guy who got 12 points, and went to SRJC, then got ABC A2 for A levels and currently in NIE, I personally believe it doesn't make a difference where you go to. I have friends from both SRJC and TPJC right now who are not happy with school environment and teachers. So it's really up to you and how you make the most of it.

But I prefer SRJC for one major reason. Because they get the bottom end of the national JC cohort, they "treat you like idiots" when they teach, and their notes are very detailed compared to better JCs (I've seen TPJC and SAJC's notes, so trust me..). And I think in JC, you could use all the rest time you can get. So the travel time can make a diff.. I believe it's abt 40 mins journey from SRJC to TPJC.. That extra 1 hr plus (2 way trip).. can be used as a power nap..

JetGrey added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...



I beg to differ.. I don't feel that the school management apply too much pressure on them. It's the students' attitudes.. Was there for 2 years.. I've seen the good and the bad in the school

JetGrey added 5 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...



The reason why less people from SRJC go to uni is because SRJCians are among the tail end of the national JC cohort. You have to accept the fact that not 100% of JC students go to uni even if everyone passes everything. So, obviously, as the tail end, less people actually progress on to uni. But if you're good enough, and don't slack off, you can get good a level results. And that's all that matters. Uni admission only considers your results, not where you were studying at. If you got the exact same results as a RJC student, then both of you are at the same level when it comes to being chosen for a uni course.
well, i'm an ex-SRJC-ican, i think tt srjc stresses students a lot, but the teachers there are SUPER!!!...

chinz is offline   Add to chinz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fathernature is a jewel in the roughfathernature is a jewel in the rough

 
fathernature's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,828
Join Date: Dec 2007
Likes: 19
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

super what

__________________
eh eh eh !!! =O
+ rep sia! If i help u lurhs (^_^)V

http://soundcloud.com/fathernature
www.youtube.com/xiiaoxuuesheng
fathernature is offline   Add to fathernature's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber
chinz is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2009
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

super, fun..nice...really!!

chinz is offline   Add to chinz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 01:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
New SGClubber
kennlim87 is on a distinguished road

 
kennlim87's Avatar
 
Posts: 26
Join Date: Jun 2008
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

It depends on what type of environment you like to study in. For me, i prefer the more "peaceful" environment and i went to TPJC, cos i heard SRJC keeps making you do a lot of work. Doing work and studying are ways of learning things and I believe studying is more effective than doing work for me; I don't do my tutorials. TPJC suits me well and i did average for my A' lvls. Currently studying in NUS now.

Ultimately, it depends on how much hardwork and time you are willing to spend on studying to get your expected results. Self-moviation is definitely an important factor no matter which JC you go to.


Last edited by kennlim87; 4th March 2009 at 01:28 AM.
kennlim87 is offline   Add to kennlim87's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber
fang95 is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

I just got my results.
I got: Combined Humanities: B4
English: B3
Higher Malay: B3
Arabic: A2
Physics: A2
Chemistry: A2
Biology: A2
E. Maths: A1
So which JC should I go? My L1R5 is 14

fang95 is offline   Add to fang95's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
New SGClubber
ReflectionWiz is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 28
Join Date: Jan 2012
Likes: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

What's ur bonus points?

ReflectionWiz is offline   Add to ReflectionWiz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
redrose will become famous soon enough

 
redrose's Avatar
 
Posts: 381
Join Date: Oct 2009
Likes: 7
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Depends on where you stay too. Although I don't recommend anyone going into TPJC, too slack and not conducive for you to study.

redrose is offline   Add to redrose's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 05:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
New SGClubber
ratbower is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2017
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

my son 2016 O lvl results is
English B3
Malay B3
E Maths B3
Combine Science A1
Accounts A2
Humanities A2
CCA 2 pts.
Anyone can advice which JC Arts is the best for him to apply? Distance is not a problem. Thanks.

ratbower is offline   Add to ratbower's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 12:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
A Levels H1 & H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC
UltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of light

 
UltimaOnline's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,205
Join Date: Aug 2008
Likes: 110
Liked 260 Times in 235 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Originally Posted by UltimaOnline View Post
TPJC 1st choice
SRJC 2nd choice

The reason why SRJC students suffer, is because they're overworked and overstressed by the school management. TPJC has a healthier, more relaxed culture, which helps them perform better.

Updated 2017 :

Put SRJC 1st choice, and TPJC 2nd choice.

Because in the last 10 years, SRJC has caught up with TPJC in terms of standard.

So whichever JC is nearer for you, choose the nearer JC to save on travelling time.

Because JC students are always sleep deprived, and the worse your sleep deprivation, the more brain damage you'll suffer, the lower your IQ, the worse your A level results.

__________________
A Level H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC (located near VJC and TJC)
UltimaOnline is offline   Add to UltimaOnline's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 01:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
A Levels H1 & H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC
UltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of lightUltimaOnline is a glorious beacon of light

 
UltimaOnline's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,205
Join Date: Aug 2008
Likes: 110
Liked 260 Times in 235 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

Originally Posted by ratbower View Post
my son 2016 O lvl results is
English B3
Malay B3
E Maths B3
Combine Science A1
Accounts A2
Humanities A2
CCA 2 pts.
Anyone can advice which JC Arts is the best for him to apply? Distance is not a problem. Thanks.
If you say distance is not a consideration (but it should be), then using the 2016 L1R5 cut off points as a guide, get your son to apply for the best JCs that his L1R5 can get him into for his 1st choice, the next best JC for his 2nd choice, and so on.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/de...29_2027059.pdf

__________________
A Level H2 Chemistry Tuition @ BedokFunland JC (located near VJC and TJC)
UltimaOnline is offline   Add to UltimaOnline's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
New SGClubber
comm@lithan is on a distinguished road

 
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2017
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gender:

Re: serangoon or tampines jc?

srjc shld be the first choice cos it has definitely caught up in terms of their cut off points over the past few years. i also heard that their learning culture and teaching community is also better

comm@lithan is offline   Add to comm@lithan's Reputation Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie in serangoon zerocool85 Welcome Centre 13 15th February 2009 01:12 AM
Blk 211 Serangoon Central 3+1 Whole Unit for Rent hsr_keithgoh HDB Flats 0 7th January 2009 10:35 AM
lost maltese at serangoon ave 2 beyond Pets Adoption & Accessories Sales 6 4th March 2008 05:14 PM

» Sponsors
Watch Free Movies Online
Celebrity Gossip
Food Delivery

» Facebook Fans
» What's Going On?
Title, Username, & Date
Do you know?
DIABETES is in essence a chronic relative caloric excess problem:
Thai Oil Massage
Downtown Line 3 to launch with 2 days of free travel
Train delay on East West Line causes crowds at stations
Best Chicken Rice In Bukit Timah Singapore
I grew my own breast implants...from the fat on my tummy
More expats find it tough to get kids into local schools
Why Stretching Is Just as Important as Exercise
LOAN OFFER APPROVED IN 60MINS !!
LOAN OFFER APPROVED IN 60MINS !!
LOAN OFFER APPROVED IN 60MINS !!
PERSONAL AND BUSINESS LOAN OFFER. 3%.
LOAN OFFER APPROVED IN 60MINS !!
LOAN OFFER
Politicians and the Origin of FAKE News....
my pets :)
TPG Telecom ‘on track’ to have outdoor mobile network in Singapore by end-2018
Black Computer has split personalities to keep hackers at bay
11 drivers jailed for taking online job offers to smuggle cigarettes
Featured Photos
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments
by DBest
· · ·
Member Galleries
20335 photos
13340 comments

 

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2004-2013 SGClub.com. All rights reserved.