Singapore students score high in global literacy study - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > School Life » Singapore students score high in global literacy study

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2007, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Voodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to beholdVoodoo Vince is a splendid one to behold

Liked 222 Times in 196 Posts
Singapore students score high in global literacy study

Singapore students score high in global literacy study
By Loh Chee Kong, TODAY | Posted: 29 November 2007 1240 hrs

SINGAPORE : A new curriculum and better-quality teachers have helped Singapore clinch second spot among 12 education systems that use English, according to a global survey on reading literacy.

When education systems that use other languages, such as Chinese and Russian, were included, the Republic fell two notches to a still-respectable fourth position out of the 45 countries and provinces taking part in last year's Progress in International Reading Literacy (Pirl) study.

In a similar study in 2001, Singapore ranked 15th out of 35 education systems

About 7,000 Primary 4 students in Singapore took part in the study, conducted in October 2005 under the International Association for the Evaluation of Education Achievement.

The association, which brings together national research institutions and government agencies, is based in Amsterdam.

Out of the 12 education systems that conducted tests in English, Singapore came in second after Canada (Alberta) but ranked higher than the other Canadian provinces, United States, England, New Zealand and Scotland.

During the test, students were given several passages to read and to answer related questions to test their reading comprehension skills.

Singapore not only rose in its ranking but its average score also climbed from 528 in 2001 to 558. Its students also showed significant improvements across all ability groups, with the bottom 5 per cent showing the greatest improvement with an average score of 420 from the in the last study.

Among the 12 systems that tested in English, Singapore had the second-highest achievement score (672) in the top 5 per cent, slightly below England.

The findings "affirm that Singapore's education system provides a sound foundation to develop reading literacy in English for functional use and literacy experience", said the Ministry of Education.

It attributed the encouraging results to several reasons, such as greater exposure to English from young; more primary school teachers with university degrees, and the use of a new curriculum.

The English Language Syllabus 2001 places strong emphasis on reading skills and strategies.

Mdm Noor Ashikin, the English language level head at Tampines North Primary School, also credited the results to the ministry's Stellar programme, rolled out for lower primary students in 2005.

Mdm Noor told TODAY: "The main emphasis is on reading and we've observed that in the programme, the pupils' reading ability is higher and they enjoy reading."

Professor Koh Tai Ann, chairman of the Speak Good English Movement, noting that the Pirl tests were taken by nine and 10-year-olds, offered another perspective.

She said: "The results, at most, show that up to that stage, students in Primary 4 are well-taught and have acquired the kinds of skills being tested ... They do not necessarily reflect the state of English in the entire student body, including university students." - TODAY/ym

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...314445/1/.html

Sponsors:

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
Add to Voodoo Vince's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
blabbers is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Singapore students score high in global literacy study

duh. haha.

Singapore's students are so stressed up everyday. If they don't do well, then there's no benefit to all the stress we suffer liao. haha.

We're also one of the top in mathematics standard.

blabbers is offline   Add to blabbers's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
MelvinLee is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the deserve it for being so stressed they done well, stressing have been awarded, well done

I made a terrible mistake That I can't take back.Now when I close my eyes, All I see is black.Whoever thought,That this would happen to me I'm not chained physically,But mentally,I'll never be the same,Never again.I deeply regret ,what I did.The mistake I can't take back.I regret it deeply, I just have one plea....God please forgive me.

Last edited by MelvinLee; 30th November 2007 at 05:36 PM.
MelvinLee is offline   Add to MelvinLee's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Miss QQ will become famous soon enough

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

We had our education system to thank for...