Are Singapore teachers overworked? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Are Singapore teachers overworked?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Are Singapore teachers overworked?

Taken from
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/05...rs-overworked/

Many people call it one of the most under-appreciated career choices in Singapore today.

In a forum letter in The Straits Times on 15 May 2010, a teachers wife, Ms Aishah Quek chronicles her husbands typical work day. She bemoans her husbands punishing workload and questions the seeming non-existence of a work-life balance.

A teacher in a local primary school, Ms Queks husband wakes up at 5am every weekday, and leaves home by 6am, to reach school in time for morning guard duty at 7am. After remedial lessons, co-curricular activities and administrative duties, her husband reaches home at 8pm for dinner, before, surprise, surprise, he starts to work from home.

If these normal working hours are representative of a typical day in the life of a teacher, do teachers; the people who play an integral role in shaping young, impressionable minds, have sufficient time to relax and recharge, before the next day comes around?

A student in the morning session has about 6 hours of lessons per day (from 7.30am to 1pm). But thats just about the time a teachers after teaching hours begin.

On a typical day, we mark assignments, conduct remedial lessons and complete many administrative tasks, which often extend long beyond our official working hours, said John*, 35, a married primary school teacher with a one-year old son.

Another educator, Seline*, 27, who called it quits after three years, said, When my husband and I were both teaching, we hardly had any quality time in the evenings because wed both be busy marking assignments, preparing for the next days lessons or just be too tired.

Added another teacher, Lionel*, I already feel rather drained by the time I start marking my students work after 5pm. This decreases effectiveness and increases the likelihood of making errors.

KJ*, 23, a fresh graduate from the National Institute of Education, knows that the teaching road may not be an easy one ahead.

I believe we just need to find a balance, set our priorities and hope our senior colleagues will share tips with us on how best to handle different situations, she said.

My informal survey revealed that most teachers joined the profession to pursue their passion to equip the young with knowledge, and invaluable life skills. However, teachers today are feeling the strain.

Are our teachers overworked? How do you think the Ministry of Education can help teachers have a better work-life balance?

Editors note: *Names have been changed to protect the teachers identity.

Sponsors:
Old 17th May 2010, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
livehardfast will become famous soon enough

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Are Singapore teachers overworked?

The dedicated ones would be overworked as they think about their students almost all the time. Those that don't care about teaching, they probably are not overworked.

livehardfast is offline   Add to livehardfast's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
mylittlebusines is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are earning good money anyway

Old 17th May 2010, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Lonerguy86 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mylittlebusines View Post
They are earning good money anyway
Yes, they are earning good money but also have to depends what education level they teach. Certain level of course there's stressed but i guess it is all worthwhile compare that you work outside. Government job are always beta. I believe not even the pay but the bonus also can get a lot.

Old 17th May 2010, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
New SGClubber
jian is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A true teacher will only find teaching as a passion, as an educator to share their knowledge and educate student into a better person to prepare for the society. Hence if one fine day, a teacher find teaching to be stressful, tough or whatever, i think they shouldnt be a teacher in the first place. yup just my opinion, no offence = )

Last edited by jian; 17th May 2010 at 08:54 PM.
jian is offline   Add to jian's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, most of the teachers these days spend more time doing paperwork rather than truly educating the students. They spend more time marking papers, handing new roles/responsibilities, dealing with irresponsible/unreasonable parents than spending time making a difference in today's children.

I have friends/cousins who are teachers and I really sympathize with their workload.

Someone who was once a teacher shared this, "How can you teach your students about life, if you don't have a life yourself?" The sad part is, most of education system's teachers these days don't really have a proper healthy life. They are paid well yes but they are extremely overworked to the point where most of them aren't actually doing effective work in my view.

Old 18th May 2010, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
iNFINITY HiGH will become famous soon enough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yup teachers are overworked.. I know coz someone in my family is a teacher and I can tell its a very unhealthy lifestyle. Its not worth to be a teacher

o(≧∇≦o) +Rep if this post helped you out/it is simply awesome \(●~▽~●)У
iNFINITY HiGH is offline   Add to iNFINITY HiGH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
boonba has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, they're overworked. The pay is not that good for the hours one has to put in.

boonba is offline   Add to boonba's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
mYRTLE is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

most of the time.. i hear teachers saying... 99% of the time they are doing admin work.. and have very little time to really teach and prepare for their lessons...
thats where the stress comes in i guess..

they want to be good teachers who can dedicate to teaching the students well...
just that.. the amount of work they have to do(apart from teaching) is draining all their time and energy..

Last edited by mYRTLE; 19th May 2010 at 12:44 PM.
mYRTLE is offline   Add to mYRTLE's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Panda_King is an unknown quantity at this point

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in fact depend individual school principals.

If that school the principal very "ON" want to impress the MOE

those teachers /staffs in that school will be overwork.

Old 23rd May 2010, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
iBELIEVE is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

who says teacher r gd paid. At ard 40+ they will hit the max pay of ard 5k lor. lol. the start pay is nice, but the ending pay is nt nice. Plus its so hard work for them

iBELIEVE is offline   Add to iBELIEVE's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Christan99 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jian View Post
A true teacher will only find teaching as a passion, as an educator to share their knowledge and educate student into a better person to prepare for the society. Hence if one fine day, a teacher find teaching to be stressful, tough or whatever, i think they shouldnt be a teacher in the first place. yup just my opinion, no offence = )
It says it all. I do agree with you.
Teachers do know what kind of lifestyle teaching could give them, but still they pursued it. Although their jobs are draining them, their hard works, effort, dedication, truly are appreciated.

Christan99 is offline   Add to Christan99's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
cherrystarxx is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Students are overworked too.

cherrystarxx is offline   Add to cherrystarxx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
❝Polyphobic❞ is an unknown quantity at this point

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am laughing. ha. ha.

if the teachers ARE overworked, we would have passed at least.

they are SO underworked.

Old 24th May 2010, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
เพื่อนสนิท
Peuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud ofPeuan Sanit has much to be proud of

Liked 112 Times in 86 Posts

There are others who work 2 jobs just to survived in SG, these are more overworked then Teachers.

Beside during the School holidays, teachers also had breaks unless they have to return to school for CCA or remedial lessons but then again CCA and remedial lessons does not happen everyday during the school holidays

Old 26th May 2010, 05:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Arcfalcon has a spectacular aura about

They're overworked compared to certain jobs and they're underworked compared to other jobs/2 jobs.(Then again comparing 2 jobs to 1 job is kinda unfair)

Also a teacher's amount of work is not directly proportionate to a student's grades. One can have a overworked teacher with failing students.

I'm kinda curious to the so called 'good pay' people think teachers are earning.

Arcfalcon is offline   Add to Arcfalcon's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Lebuz is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep, thats why they are highly paid. and they pay is going to increase agn due to the lack of teachers

Lebuz is offline   Add to Lebuz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
shingshing has a spectacular aura about

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I believe other professions work equally hard too. Not just the teachers. If every profession were to step out to voice their unhappiness about being overworked, how many times can you sympathise with these people?

Moreover, the teachers are well paid. So in a way, MOE have already compensated by giving attractive salary and benefits.

And if the teacher join teaching becoz of the good pay, then he'll just have to accept that these are all part and parcel of the job. Afterall, you're selling your service for that amount of pay. Its a DEAL right from the moment you sign that paper, even though these kind of pains are not stated in the contract. But, you have a choice to continue the deal or to break the deal.

And as for teachers who really work for passion. I dunno. For me, its really hard to talk about passion when you're already struggling to survive for yourself. If that passion is so strong, then perhaps all the hardwork is worth it as long as you see the results produced by the students.

All in all, I'll still have to say that no matter what kind of job you choose, it is your CHOICE.
We all complain and whine becoz the going is really tough, but don't forget that ultimately we can all choose to stay or to leave.

~~ I just can't smile without you~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shingshing is offline   Add to shingshing's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 08:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

This isn't about teachers saying that they are overworked. Neither is this saying that other professions are not working or not stressful.

I am not a teacher but I have seen plenty of teachers who still work at their job without a single whine or complain and I'm saying that they are really overworked.

Yes, there are other people working 2 jobs, or stuff like that. That's true. Some of these jobs however are more of tedious rather than stressful. Overworked in this case isn't just an issue of long hours or number of hours you put in, but also the stress and responsibilities involved.How many of you have actually deal with the irresponsible, immature teenagers of today, a whole bunch of them and then have to deal with unreasonable parents at the same time, on top of carrying other responsibilities day in day out?

And to those who say if they are overworked, all the students would have passed, that's the most ridiculous notion i have ever heard. That's throwing the onus of your own results to others, the hallmark of irresponsibility.

Old 28th May 2010, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
la_nausee is just really nicela_nausee is just really nicela_nausee is just really nice

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

I find myself in two minds here. Yes, we might argue that teachers should be paid more and worked less, because they hold such a key role in society -- they're responsible for the success of Singapore's future generations. But couldn't the same argument also apply to many, many other professions without which society would grind to a standstill? Policemen, construction workers, cleaners, bus drivers, and so on?

As for stress levels, I agree that it can be extremely taxing to deal with several classes of bratty kids, and (to compound matters) their brattier parents. But we might take in comparison, say, a police officer (I think the pay is roughly equivalent). Is having to deal with criminals/suspects, to risk your life responding to calls, and to handle unreasonable or false complaints, any less stressful?

I do highly respect and admire teachers -- and if I were less of a materialist, I'd probably opt for teaching instead of being a scumbag lawyer (wannabe) But I'm hesitant about putting them on a pedestal, especially considering society's other countless unsung heroes that slog tirelessly without getting due recognition, too.

la_nausee is offline   Add to la_nausee's Reputation Reply With Quote