Sleep Paralysis or Sitting Ghost? U decide ! - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Miscellaneous Interests > Supernatural Zone » Sleep Paralysis or Sitting Ghost? U decide !

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2008, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
badass278 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sleep Paralysis or Sitting Ghost? U decide !

The Haunting Nights, Sleep Paralysis

Introduction

Sleep Paralysis, have you heard of it? Have you ever experience it before? Experiencing yourself waking up in the middle of the night unable to move, and opening your mouth yelling for help but yet not a single sound came out? If you do, Yes, that is SP Sleep paralysis.

SP refers to a condition where a person feels a total paralysis of skeletal muscles that occurs upon awakening from sleep and less often while falling asleep. An episode of paralysis causes you to be unable to speak or move your arms, legs, body and head but having a minimal control over blinking and breathing and you are also fully aware of what is happening. The episode usually has a duration that lasts from seconds to minutes. With time, sound or with a touch of someones hand may terminate the episode. SP is often accompanied by a hallucination which makes SP even more frightening. You may see, hear or feel things that are not there. Often it is reported as feeling a weight on one's chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.

Chp 2. First encounter

At the age of probably 10, I encountered my very first SP. All I can remember was I was struggling to move and at the same time afraid that I might not ever wake up again, I even had a sudden thought that death has come. When I finally managed to lift my body up, all I felt was extreme tiredness in my brain and I just cant help lying back and the moment I closed my eyes, the episode repeats again. The episode repeated up to 4 times and it only ended when I grabbed hold of my bed frame after breaking through the 4th episode thus, preventing myself to lie back. I ran to my living room, feeling in despair, shocked and frightened. All I could think of is of course ghost and I was so afraid to sleep that I went to my parents room and squeezed in between them to sleep.
I remembered on the next day, I did tell my mum what I experienced and mentioned that my rooms feng shui (astronomy) wasnt good, and what she replied was that I think too much. I guess at that time she probably might be thinking that I am crazy. On other few nights that I encountered SP, I would then place a Buddha pendant underneath my pillow and pray to sleep.

Chp 3. Lady in white

Ever since I experienced my first SP, I had been experiencing SP a number of times until I was numb of it. In fact, not scared about it, but not being scared is a horrific thing to do. Why?

As after a few months of experiencing SP, I was kind of used to it therefore on this particular night, I encountered SP, and I truly regretted on what I did. What I did was I told myself: This time I should not struggle to move like what I always did. This time round I should just close my eyes and try to go back to sleep. And probably in 5 10 minutes, hallucination strikes me. Thats the first time I experienced SP with the companion of hallucination.

I dreamt of this typical Japanese lady ghost, long hair with the fringe covering the face (just like sadako) floating towards my room way back from my livings rooms door steps. I woke up from my dream finding myself still stuck in the SP and from the position of my bed, I could not even see my livings room not to mention my livings rooms door step. I was so terrified by then, wondering if she was really outside floating towards my room. I frantically struggled to move, trying to terminate the SP and was staring at my rooms door to see if she was there. After struggling for a moment, I saw her at my rooms door step. I was really petrified and I kept struggling to move and just before she was coming in my room, I managed to terminate the SP thus regaining full control of my skeletal muscle and with a more conscious mind, she was not there. From this incident onwards, I would struggle to terminate the episode whenever I encounter SP and not just doing nothing trying to get back to sleep.

Chp 4. Sitting Ghost

Frankly speaking, I was not aware of this term Sleep Paralysis until I was at the age of 16. Therefore, before knowing the term Sleep Paralysis, I would call it Sitting Ghost because I read the popular True Singapore Ghost Story by Russell Lee (I could not remember the book number) when I was young and there will be this prize winning stories located at the last few pages of the book and then I spotted this very short entry and yet it won $50, so I went to read. The title was Sitting Ghost, and it wrote that he himself fall asleep while watching a soccer match on the TV, and upon waking up, he was unable to move etc etc. On the next day, he told his grandmother what he experienced and his grandmother told him that it was the ghost that sat on him, advising him to consult a priest. So after reading this, I used Sitting Ghost as the name of what I had been experiencing.

On one of the nights that I experienced SP, I felt some difficulty in breathing and a sharp pain in my chest. Maybe it just hallucination but I really doubt so. Every time after a night of SP, I would be very moody and depressed on the following day. Worrying that what if one night I did not succeed in terminating the SP, what if one night will be my last struggle. Therefore, I have been researching on why SP is happening/exist, and I have found out that actually there are two sides of answers to SP, one is the spiritual theory and another one is the medical theory.

Chp 5. Spiritual theory

In African American culture, sleep paralysis is commonly referred to as "the devil riding your back."

In the Cambodian, Laotian and Thai culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as "pee umm" and "khmout sukkhot". It describes an event where the person is sleeping and dreams that ghostly figure(s) are either holding him/her down or the ghosts can just be near. The person usually thinks that they are awake but is unable to move or make any noises. This is not to be confused with "pee khao" and "khmout jool" which refers to a ghost possession.

In Hmong culture, sleep paralysis describes an experience called "dab tsog" or "crushing demon". Often the sufferer claims to be able to see a tiny figure, no larger than a child, sitting on his or her chest. What is alarming is that a vast number of American Hmong, mainly males, have died in their sleep prompting the Centers for Disease Control to create the term "Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome" or "SUNDS" for short.
In Vietnamese culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as "ma de", meaning "held down by a ghost". Many people in this culture believe that a ghost has entered one's body, causing the paralyzed state.

In Chinese culture, sleep paralysis is widely known as "鬼壓身/鬼压身") or "鬼壓床/鬼压床", which literally translate into "ghost pressing on body" or "ghost pressing on bed."

In Pakistani culture, it is an encounter with evil jinns and demons. It is also assumed that it is due to the black magic performed by enemies and jealous persons. Curses could also result in ghoul haunting a person. Some homes and locations are also haunted by these satanic beings.

In many parts of the Southern United States, the phenomenon is known as a "hag", and the event is said to often be a sign of an approaching tragedy or accident.
After reading all this, it reminds me of colleague that I have told her about my experience of SP and what she said makes me feel so uncomfortable and uneasy. She said that maybe that Japanese lady ghost I dreamt is the one that is pressing/sitting on me whenever I experienced SP and that time she was annoyed that I was not scared as I did not bother to struggle to move so she showed herself.

What the hell?? Makes me feel so uncomfortable!
I also had this friend of mine told me that his uncle also experienced SP and dreamt that there is this big frog sitting on him so he went to consult a priest and was told to find if there is anything at home to do with frog, a figuring, picture or statue etc and he found this photo where he took at oversea with him under a big frog statue. The priest instructed him to burn it and he did not experience SP since then.

So what you think of the spiritual theory? For me, I chose to believe in the medical theory, not because I wanted to avoid accepting the spiritual theory but the medical theory do makes sense and is very sensible to me.

Chp 6. Medical theory

Sleep paralysis is a sleeping disorder and during sleep, we go through different stages of sleep. One of them is called Rapid Eye Movement (REM) stage. This is the stage where dreaming occurs. In this stage, God created a mechanism that protects us from acting our dreams (e.g. preventing a sleeper from flailing his legs when dreaming about running); this is called muscular atonia. Muscular atonia basically means that all the muscles in our body will be suppressed/paralyse during REM sleep (except the diaphragm and muscles of the eyes). So even if you are Superman in your dream, this mechanism will keep you safely in bed. This atonia terminates upon awaking. But at times something goes wrong; the individual wakes up during REM sleep and this protective mechanism atonia does not terminate. This creates an inability to move (paralysis), and as the brain was semi-conscious, this may result in frightening hallucinations. It takes around seconds to minutes for the atonia to be terminated depending on individual.
Sleep paralysis is an isolated phenomenon in most individuals, which means that it does not begin from other illness or is related with other illness. However, in some cases it can be associated with a disorder called Narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder characterized by irresistible and uncontrollable attacks of sleepiness which means that patient could fall asleep uncontrollably. All patients with narcolepsy need medical attention and treatment. On the other hand, most individuals with isolated sleep paralysis need assurance only. Patients should know that this disorder is like a bad dream or nightmare and does not jeopardize their life at all. Most of these individuals do not need any medical treatment.

Several studies have concluded that many or most people will experience sleep paralysis at least once or twice in their lives.

After reading the medical theory, whats your point of view? As I have said, I will choose to believe the medical theory but how do you explain the times where I put the Buddha pendant under my pillow causing me not getting back SP on nights that I encounter it? How do you explain the Japanese Lady? And how do you explain the frog photograph? Maybe it is all on the mind. Maybe everything is just a bad dream including the experience of inability to move.

Chp 7. Possible Causes

Possible causes of SP would be irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleep deprivation or increased stress, lack of exercise and sudden lifestyle/environment changes. It is often reported that sleeping in a face upwards position would increase the chances of occurring SP.

At the age of probably 16, I then came to realise that every time after having an afternoon nap, and when I sleep early on that night, I will most likely encounter SP. I love to sleep afternoon nap, but for the sake of not getting SP at night, I cant. However, sometimes I was too tired that I fell asleep in the afternoon and I had to sleep early at night so as to wake up early the next day. Thats when I would risk sleeping early on that night. At a rough count, I would get SP 4 out of 5 times for that kind of scenario. As I grow older, I encounter SP lesser due to refraining myself from sleeping in the afternoon.

Chp 8. Danger of SP

Some individuals might think that death has come. Others think that there is a devil or ghost pressing on their chest but still the above is not supported by any scientific evidence. Those mysterious deaths during sleeping are not confirm that it is cause by sleep paralysis. As the diaphragm is not affected by the process of atonia, breathing continues to be normal with no significant change in the blood oxygen level. SP is harmless.

Chp 9. Treatment

Treatment of sleep paralysis is aimed at whatever causes it to occur. Sleep deprivation may trigger sleep paralysis. In this case, try to get at least six to eight hours of sleep per night. Having afternoon naps may trigger sleep paralysis too. In this case, try to avoid sleeping afternoon naps, if have to, it is recommended to sleep afternoon naps for only 30 minutes to 45minutes. Most of them do not require any medical treatment.
During paralysis episodes, it is advisable to try moving the facial muscles and moving eyes from one side to the other as it may fasten the termination of the attack. It is also reported that wriggling of your fingers (especially the thumb) or the toes will fasten the termination of the attack too.

In severe cases, where attacks take place at least once a week, medication like Clonazepam and Ritalin may be used.

Clonazepam is highly effective in the treatment of sleep paralysis. The initial dose is 0.5 mg at bedtime, while an increase to 1 mg per night might be necessary to maintain potency.

Ritalin has been used successfully as a daytime medication to promote structured sleep patterns and the prevention of sleep paralysis in some adults. Care should be taken to monitor blood pressure along with other appropriate tests. Dosage starts at 20mg per day (morning) increased weekly until episodes diminish.

People with narcolepsy often have sleep paralysis. They normally need an antidepressant medication to reduce or eliminate dream sleep. This will help to ease the sleep paralysis. Taking an antidepressant drug does not mean that you are depressed. It is simply a method to help reduce sleep paralysis.

Please do consult a doctor first as the necessary information that you need to know might not be written here.

It is known that stress and sleep disturbances increase the episodes of sleep paralysis. Therefore, to minimize the number of episodes, it is advisable to do the following:
Get enough sleep
Reduce stress
Exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
Keep a regular sleep-wake schedule
Some claims that sleeping on the side may help

Chp 10. My first companion

At the age of 19, I finally found a friend who experienced SP too. I am very happy as finally there is someone who understands what I was trying to say and not just thinking that I am crazy or joking. We shared our experiences and we could discuss on this topic for a long time, trying to figuring out the causes and clearing each others doubts.

After sharing our experiences, I have crossed out some possibility that I thought at first it might be true. I have always thought that when someone is sleeping beside me, SP would not occur. All the time that I experienced SP, I was sleeping alone on my bed. But my friend experienced SP while sleeping with his grandmother and he was trying so hard to ask for help but still didnt manage to.

My friend experienced SP since young way back in Philippines and even sometimes in Singapore now. It is such a coincidence that my friend experience SP due to having afternoon naps. This could increase the fact that sleeping afternoon naps will cause SP. To my surprise, my friend actually hallucinate a lady with long hair covering the face during SP which quite resemble of what I hallucinated, but his is some sort different. He hallucinate this lady with long hair sitting on his chest strangling him and he would hallucinate himself using his hand trying to pull the ladys hand off. He believes that it is a hallucination of his hand trying to pull the ladys hand off because if he were to really move his hands, he would had woke his grandmother up and also thus breaking the SP if he was able to move.

My friends experience is even scarier than mine as he hallucinate that Japanese lady ghost not once but a couple of times and there is once he nearly managed to see the face of her but was woken up from it unexpectedly.

He did joke about something that kept me laughing for quite some time. He was telling me if I were to encounter SP again, do try wriggling the thumb, he tired before and it works but not always, of course I said I hope I will not encounter SP and then what he said makes me laugh, he joked: At least yours, the lady is still at your rooms doorstep, whereas mine, she already on my chest! Strangling me! Oh gosh.

Chp 11. Final words

After reading this, I believed you have a closer view on what Sleep Paralysis is about. Even though SP is said to be harmless but it is very disturbing. SP is quite common but as a whole it is still not quite common and I know that people out there who experienced SP is usually being joked or suspicious about from people who did not experienced SP. I would like to say that SP is not funny and it is not a joke. Its scary but its true. No matter who, he or she will get freak out if they were to encounter SP. Ever since I experienced SP, I would appreciate most nights where I could sleep well. Now I know why people would greet a goodnight or a sleep tight before turning in. Having a fearless sleep is essential.

Thanks for reading and I wish all the best to the people out there. I hope everyone will start to appreciate that you can sleep well at night. Being afraid to sleep in the night is one of the most disturbing things in life. Its a blessing if you are not.

Please feel free to send me an email at k_neth@live.com.sg if u have any different experience or hallucation as I am trying to gather all the different types of hallucation.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sponsors:
Add to badass278's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
shadowpartner is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sleep Paralysis or Sitting Ghost? U decide !

i believe in the scientific explanation rather than the paranormal explanation

Old 12th December 2008, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
lousydk is a jewel in the roughlousydk is a jewel in the rough

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

ok lor
the best way for me is move my fingers
i find it kinda easy for me to do it so
when i tio i just move my fingers when it moves everything ends

oh ya
when you got it dont try to continue sleeping if you got hallucination sometimes you can test test see how long you can take it
but dont do it for too long

but whenever i got it i always close my eyes and move finger, i scared i might see something...

well when i first got it
i'm sorta not scared i thought that i was in a dream you know, i dreamt that i cant move and everything is quite dark
i tried to widen my should to reduce the stress on my shoulder and then somehow i can move again
til the day that i know i was scared is
i woke up in the morning and trying to get more sleep
but the same thing happen again but in the morning, this time hallucination came with it
i saw a masked samurai take a sword and stab in my heart and blood gushed out everywhere
that was the time that i found SP scary, so i decided to ask for help and when i understand it i'm not scared anymore

i've gotten this alot of times and told myself nothing will go wrong
so i stayed calm and move my fingers then i 'fully' woke up and it turn to another side and continue sleeping

Last edited by lousydk; 12th December 2008 at 12:33 PM.
lousydk is offline   Add to lousydk's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
New SGClubber
ban1aga is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We cannot really explain it.. though it would be the disgression of the one who experienced it... I did... it really felt like someone is sitting on my chest... but still might just be sleep paralysis...

ban1aga is offline   Add to ban1aga's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Java Chips is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow wall of text..Read until chapter 4 nia..

Anw i believe in scientific explaination as well..And sp is quite fun too i enjoy the feeling of going into SP and hallucinations..i'm not afraid after i read up on the net wat is SP..

Old 31st October 2010, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Stuoid_Panda is a jewel in the roughStuoid_Panda is a jewel in the rough

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

if everything can be explain as scientifc fact then why sometime...some things happen n no one can explain

CitrusChest/deviantArt\"My head hurts, i think i nvr use it much" Patrick Starfish
Stuoid_Panda is offline   Add to Stuoid_Panda's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
warlockSG is on a distinguished road

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

it could be due to spiders too
time to clean up the cob-webs

warlockSG is offline   Add to warlockSG's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kopiman is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

such situation, i think i go for more logical support. we never know our body condition during zzz..
usually zzz...our breathing, body temperature and position of our body will causes SP...

Ghost and spirit encounter experience must have conscious mind without sickness and drug...

kopiman is offline   Add to kopiman's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

but sometime kopi the drug can causes u to see them too

so nothing is possible but science n supernatural both side u has to take into consideration

CitrusChest/deviantArt\"My head hurts, i think i nvr use it much" Patrick Starfish
Old 1st November 2010, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuoid_Panda View Post
but sometime kopi the drug can causes u to see them too

so nothing is possible but science n supernatural both side u has to take into consideration
yup....especially drug. It will causes us to hallucinate.
drugs can taken by oral or smelling....once you had it, whatever you imagine will appear.
That's why if anyone wanted to see the real stuff....no oral consumption (could be drug) or any burning incense...pure summon or appear without any reason is the best.

For sleeping or half sleep is half conscious in our mind. We may mix-up for one reason or so...

However dreaming experience is another subject, dream can be predict by understanding your daily lifestyle and your mind thinking. When we zzz, the brain don't zzz...it is still working. If over work, there mean nightmare instead of dream...

Old 1st November 2010, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

u sound like scientist..dr kopiman

imagination can bring them to life sometimes too.

Old 1st November 2010, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuoid_Panda View Post
u sound like scientist..dr kopiman

imagination can bring them to life sometimes too.

wakakak...me no doctor

just a person that love question about unknown...and do some self study and experience...
but seriously speaking, it is really bad for health.....

Old 1st November 2010, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i know .

i will read....continue...read till late end up slp a bit only

Old 4th November 2010, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
New SGClubber
-J.S- is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shadowpartner View Post
i believe in the scientific explanation rather than the paranormal explanation
me too.. reason : too many peoples experienced same thing like this.. it's not like most of the ghost like to sit on peoples while sleeping rite???

-J.S- is offline   Add to -J.S-'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
mateen23 is on a distinguished road

lol i got SP once... i woke up and i realised i can't move then got this shadow outside my window that looks like some alien.. and then there's this weird sound.. i was so afraid.

Old 6th November 2010, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mateen23 View Post
lol i got SP once... i woke up and i realised i can't move then got this shadow outside my window that looks like some alien.. and then there's this weird sound.. i was so afraid.
interesting...same situation i spotted a spider directly on top the ceiling where i sept..

Old 6th November 2010, 12:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
polareez is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so creepy...

Old 7th November 2010, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
VisibleLight is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i experienced it too ~! quite scary though..but i learned that these things happen either because u are lonely or sad. so from that day onwards i tried to keep myself happy before going to sleep and i hadnt experience it till now. thank God