The Smarter Way to Lose Weight - The Dietary Blindspot - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Health & Fitness > Weight Issues » The Smarter Way to Lose Weight - The Dietary Blindspot

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2015, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
gtak is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Smarter Way to Lose Weight - The Dietary Blindspot

The Dietary Blindspot – Your Key to Making Weight Loss A Habit

My First Encounter with Blindspots
I used to live in a two storey house. Under the stairs was a piano. On top of the piano was a big dish of coins. Going up and down the stairs, you can clearly see how many coins sat in that dish and more importantly, you could reach into the dish. Whenever my mum gets back from work, she’d put her loose change in that big dish on her way up the stairs. Then, I was just 7 and my favourite snack in school cost me 20 cents. Driven by my desire to increase my purchasing power at the school canteen, I picked up an extra 20 cents every day on my way up or down the stairs. There were many coins in that dish and the absence of 20 cents really wasn’t obvious at all. Hence, my stealing habit went unnoticed for a long time. A few months later, I decided that 20 cents was not enough. I started picking up 30 cents, 40 cents and 50 cents. That was when my mum started noticing and I got caught. Guess what? Based on the lecture I received after, I realised she had been entirely clueless that I had been taking 20 cents for a long time and only took notice when she realised that 30 cents or 40 cents started going missing. To put it simply, she was blind to the presence and absence of a 20 cent coin. Go past 20 cents and she starts noticing. Darn it. If I had stayed within the blindspot, I could have maintained a higher level of spending power for a much longer time.

The dietary blindspot
Just like how my mum was blind to the absence or presence of a 20 cent coin in that big dish of coins, our bodies are also blind to the absence or presence of an extra 100-200 calories in our daily calorie intake. We can call it a dietary blindspot that cannot detect daily fluctuations of up to 200 calories. That is, it cannot tell if you have ingested 2300 or 2500 calories on any given day.
Assume you consume an average of 2500 calories daily and have decided to eat only 1000 calories for a day. You’d feel light headed, deprived and uncomfortable. Your body will alert you. On the other hand, say you went out partying and consumed 3500 calories, 1000 calories more. Your body will also alert you to the fact that you have ingested too much. Your clothing feels tighter and your stomach feels a little heavier. We would know it if we have ingested too little or too much.
However, if you just ate a little lesser and consumed only 2300 calories on a given day, that missing 200 calories goes undetected, just like the 20 cents coin. As long as you stay within the blindspot, your body will not start sending you alert signals to eat more nor would you feel deprived. Similarly, if you eat a little more, your body will be blind to that extra 100 to 200 calories thanks to the dietary blindspot.

How the dietary blindspot helps with weight loss

If you have been thinking or even trying to lose weight, REJOICE because the dietary blindspot is here to save the day. When you cut out 100 – 200 calories a day, these calories go undetected by your body. Your body will blindly accept the reduced calories without any protest. How much weight can you expect to lose just cutting enough to stay within the dietary blindspot? Let’s do some math.
By cutting out 200 undetected calories a day from your diet, you’d be cutting out a total of 73,000 calories a year.
Total calories cut a year = 200 calories x 365 days = 73,00 calories
1 kg of fat is 7,700 calories. So by cutting out 73,000 calories, you can expect to blindly, painlessly and comfortably lose 9.4kg a year.
1kg of fat = 7,700 calories
Weight loss = 73,000 calories / 7,700 calories = 9.4kg
When I use the words undetected and blindly, I mean that your body will be blind to these missing calories and because they go undetected, your body will not start fighting back. Those of you who have tried to cut 500 calories from your diet at once will know what I mean. You’d feel lethargic, unsatisfied and most importantly, struggle to stay on it for the long run. By cutting 100 – 200 calories a day, you will definitely be consciously aware that you said no to a piece of chocolate and chose an apple or that you decided to drink water instead of that can of coke. However, your body will be blind to the missing calories. It will not make a big fuss that it has received 200 calories lesser because of the dietary blindspot. The result is a weight-loss journey that is more comfortable and sustainable than if you had put yourself on a strict diet.

How to Blindly Save 100 - 200 Calories a Day?
So we know that we can lose weight just by eating 100-200 calories lesser each day. It sounds simple but why aren’t people already doing it? It is because it is effortful to consciously remind yourself to eat 100-200 calories lesser every single day of the year. Some people try but eventually give up in two or three weeks because they do not see any immediate results. But, what if we can make eating 100-200 calories lesser every day an automated habit? You would not have to plan for it nor think about it, just like brushing your teeth. You’d require very little mental effort to make sure you get it done. That would mean you would be able to automatically eat 100-200 calories lesser and over the course of the year, see that waistline shrink.

Here’re some strategies to develop eating habits that help with weight loss. Choose ONE HABIT to develop for the month!

Habit Idea 1: Keep your snacks out of reach and out of sight
If you have a stash of snacks located conveniently near you at your workplace or at home, chances are you have been automatically ingesting 100-200 calories extra every day. Clear that stash of snacks. Throw them away or give them away. Whenever you find yourself craving snacks, allow yourself to take a walk and buy them. Buy a small portion that is enough to satisfy the cravings. The fact that they do not sit in front of you to tempt you all day long means you automatically eat 100-200 calories lesser every day. Should you find yourself unable to part with them for the time being, hide them somewhere out of reach and out of sight. When you want them, serve yourself a portion and keep them back in their place.

Habit Idea 2: Order small first!
Regardless of what you are ordering, order the small portion first. If you are grossly unsatisfied after finishing that small portion, then allow yourself to get another serving. This way, you are automatically faced with lesser food and lesser calories. This beats having a full serving in front of you and willing yourself to eat lesser of what you see. Also, the hassle of ordering another portion acts as a natural deterrent to eat more. So instead of ordering a large pack of fries (521 calories), order a pack of small fries (315 calories). Instead of buying a full bar of chocolate (235 calories, 44g), treat yourself to a fun-sized piece of chocolate (38 calories, 7g) first.

Habit Idea 3: Ask for your food to be naked.
Whatever you order or eat, have your food served to you naked – without sauces or dressing. Steaks usually come drenched in sauce. Ask for them to serve the steak without the sauce or have them serve the sauce in a separate dish. Salads usually come soaked in dressing. Ask for no dressing or have the dressing be served separately. Burgers usually come with cheese slices. Ask for the cheese to be removed or reduced. That way, your food comes to you 100-200 calories lesser automatically and you do not have to consciously decide to forgo a portion of your food so as to eat 100-200 calories lesser.

What are you going to do to save 100 – 200 calories today?

Sponsors:
Add to gtak's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
New SGClubber
MelissaSanders is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The Smarter Way to Lose Weight - The Dietary Blindspot

Thank you for sharing this information. I completely agree with this. It is important to make some dietary changes to lose weight such as eat a high-protein breakfast, avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice, drink water a half hour before meals, eat soluble fiber and many more. When you follow all the good habits then over the time you will start experiencing positives changes in your body. You can do detoxification every week to remove all the toxins from the body, making weight loss process more effective. Another vital part of natural weight loss by detox tea is cleansing the kidneys and urinary system. You can also buy them online according to your requirement.

MelissaSanders is offline   Add to MelissaSanders's Reputation Reply With Quote

Tags
eat healthy, eat right, health, weightloss