some newbie noob questions - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Miscellaneous Interests > Musicians Corner » some newbie noob questions

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2009, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
qwertylol42 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some newbie noob questions

so i will be buying my first electric guitar set next week. I am thinking of buying the SX guitar beginner kit, which comes with a free instructional dvd. my question is..is the dvd good? what does it teach u? i have no lesson in guitars at all and i only begin to learn just a little little bit from my friend last month..i do not know how to read chords, only tabs...so i am kinda worried that the dvd is not good and i would be wasting my money..any one can help me here??? thanks

Sponsors:
Add to qwertylol42's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
GilaQila is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: some newbie noob questions

The internet was my couse of knowledge for learning the guitar.
I suggest you spend the money of something better, like the timbre guitar package at Standard Value or Craftsman starter kit at Citymusic. You can also just get 2nd hand guitars at cheaper price. If you want, i can sell u my timbre strat for a cheap price.

GilaQila is offline   Add to GilaQila's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Liked 179 Times in 124 Posts

Hmm, I would not usually recommend SX as a good brand of guitars. It is a cheap guitar that would help you to pick up basic electric guitar, but usually it won't last you long. Sooner or later, you'll going to have to change your whole set-up if you want to go a little bit more advanced.

I would have to say that finding methods of playing the guitar can be easily obtained from the internet, and different people would teach different methods, which would allow you to pick the right method suitable for you.

Spend the money on something a little bit more worth while. Check SOFT for more details - there are more discussion about picking out the right guitar for a starters there

theliverevoluti is offline   Add to theliverevoluti's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Reindeer will become famous soon enough

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

SX is actually fairly decent, if you pick the right ones.

Check this out

Just check for any problems with the guitar, including fret buzz. If those are okay, it should be able to last you quite a while. Timbre is also a good alternative, but they do not come with the instructional dvd you're looking for, though they are slightly better in quality compared to the SX ones.

Old 11th November 2009, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GilaQila View Post
The internet was my couse of knowledge for learning the guitar.
I suggest you spend the money of something better, like the timbre guitar package at Standard Value or Craftsman starter kit at Citymusic. You can also just get 2nd hand guitars at cheaper price. If you want, i can sell u my timbre strat for a cheap price.
how much are those package??? please be reminded i am only an xtreme beginner with no music background at all...my budget is aroun $300-$350...

qwertylol42 is offline   Add to qwertylol42's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
SX is actually fairly decent, if you pick the right ones.
Hmm, never had good experience with SX though. Its a cheap guitar, but it hardly lasts you very long.

TS, the link to City Music is here. Check out the deals, then go down to the store to check the guitars out.
If you need a bit of help, I'm free to go down with you. Just PM me

theliverevoluti is offline   Add to theliverevoluti's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theliverevoluti View Post
Hmm, never had good experience with SX though. Its a cheap guitar, but it hardly lasts you very long.

TS, the link to City Music is here. Check out the deals, then go down to the store to check the guitars out.
If you need a bit of help, I'm free to go down with you. Just PM me
hmm...is davis guitar store good??? i heard many ppl saying that i shud go there to take a look...thanks alot for ur offer, but i will be going with a friend who knows about guitar stuffs

qwertylol42 is offline   Add to qwertylol42's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Haha, okay.

About Davis Guitar, it is a good shop which sells good guitars that cater to a wide bunch of customers. However, you might want to approach the shop with much caution. The old uncle, who is the owner, is known to have a foul temper, and his customer service skills aren't exactly the best. So approach the shop with much caution, and hope that the uncle isn't around

Old 12th November 2009, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Haha, okay.

About Davis Guitar, it is a good shop which sells good guitars that cater to a wide bunch of customers. However, you might want to approach the shop with much caution. The old uncle, who is the owner, is known to have a foul temper, and his customer service skills aren't exactly the best. So approach the shop with much caution, and hope that the uncle isn't around
The uncle isn't bad, I've been to Davis a lot of times and I've never seen him badly treat a customer.

Old 12th November 2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
The uncle isn't bad, I've been to Davis a lot of times and I've never seen him badly treat a customer.
I have seen him, and been on the receiving end of his "kindness".
Okay, he's not downright rude in the sense that he'll scold you and all that, but he doesn't have excellent PR skills, in my opinion.
When I was looking for a starter guitar, I walked into his shop. I requested to test out a guitar, and he very grudgingly allowed me. When I tested it out and found it not to my liking, I returned it back to him. He literally snatched the guitar out of my hands with a very stern face that scared me out of my wits.
Could be his bad day, but I've heard even worse reports about him over at SOFT though.

Besides, the whole ambiance of the shop gives me creeps. It's like as if its very boxed in and enclosed

Old 13th November 2009, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have seen him, and been on the receiving end of his "kindness".
Okay, he's not downright rude in the sense that he'll scold you and all that, but he doesn't have excellent PR skills, in my opinion.
When I was looking for a starter guitar, I walked into his shop. I requested to test out a guitar, and he very grudgingly allowed me. When I tested it out and found it not to my liking, I returned it back to him. He literally snatched the guitar out of my hands with a very stern face that scared me out of my wits.
Could be his bad day, but I've heard even worse reports about him over at SOFT though.

Besides, the whole ambiance of the shop gives me creeps. It's like as if its very boxed in and enclosed
The new malay guy there is worse imo. He snatches the guitar halfway while you're testing it and pretends to say 'so how? okay?' then plays the guitar himself. But the other staff are quite friendly, esp the chinese guy with the short hair, can't recall his name. He treats all customers well and never gets pissed off.

Last edited by Reindeer; 13th November 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Reindeer is offline   Add to Reindeer's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Hmm, perhaps I'll go there and see how it is like. I haven't been there for a long time

Old 19th November 2009, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
New SGClubber
xia0pr1nce is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a guitar that you like playing with. It must have the aesthetic appeal to you so that you will want to keep on playing, hence brushing up on your guitar skills.

xia0pr1nce is offline   Add to xia0pr1nce's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Songwriter

Originally Posted by xia0pr1nce View Post
Get a guitar that you like playing with. It must have the aesthetic appeal to you so that you will want to keep on playing, hence brushing up on your guitar skills.
Dood, we've already touched on that earlier.