S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia mall carparks - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Travel Talk > Malaysia » S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia mall carparks

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia mall carparks

You should never walk alone

S'pore shoppers in M'sia take precautions after recent crimes in mall carparks there.

Wed, Jun 13, 2012
The New Paper

Never walk alone to your car.

Park in well-lit areas, get a good car alarm and immediately lock your car doors once you're inside the car, said Singaporean shoppers who frequent Malaysian shopping malls.

Their heightened precautions come in the wake of recent reports about some high-profile crimes at popular shopping mall carparks in Petaling Jaya.

Last month, Internet marketeer Chin Xin-Ci (right), 25, was almost abducted by two men at a basement carpark of popular shopping mall The Curve in Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya.

She managed to escape after struggling inside the car.

Less than 24 hours after Ms Chin's incident, two women were robbed of RM80,000 (S$32,000) at the same place.

The case revived memories of the 2003 kidnap, rape and murder of Malaysia-born US resident Canny Ong Lay Kian, 28, who was abducted from a carpark while on her way home to meet her sick father.

Her charred remains were found in a manhole two days later.

Some Singaporeans who frequently shop in Malaysia told The New Paper that they're paying more heed to security after the recent spate of events.

Bank employee Wendy Tay, 29, said she always walks to the car with her boyfriend close by. Even when she goes to the toilet, she makes sure that her boyfriend is right outside.

She said: "I take more precautions overseas, especially after reading about the crimes in some of the malls in Malaysia.

"I don't take unnecessary risks."

Her boyfriend is considering installing a closed-circuit TV in her car.

Malaysian women drivers The Star spoke to also said it's always better to be paranoid than sorry.

Malaysian writer Josephine Lau, 29, said it's important for women to be aware of their surroundings.

"While some say that you can't do much if you're already marked, I believe that there is something everyone can do to prevent themselves from becoming victims," she said.

She said the self-defence class she had just attended "drilled" into her the need to be "paranoid" at all times.

"Some of the tips are simple things we take for granted like not talking on your phone when you cross the street," she said.

Ms Lau added that she always checks her car mirrors when she drives and avoids going out too late at night.

The situation has aroused widespread concern, with Petaling Jaya mayor Roslan Sakiman calling for "a concerted and coordinated effort to adopt anti-crime measures".

He suggested that the number of guards at parking areas be increased and for foot patrols to be carried out more frequently.

Petaling Jaya police said they are working closely with shopping mall operators, advising them on security measures, reported The Star yesterday.

Selangor police chief Deputy Commissioner Datuk Tun Hisan Hamzah said: "Private security personnel hired by these shopping malls must also be trained to respond effectively and this can be done only through proper drills."

Awareness campaigns

He added that police would organise campaigns to raise awareness on personal safety.

Some shopping malls have already taken measures to review and tighten security.

Bukit Bintang and Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre Tourism Association chairman Joyce Yap learnt this after checking with the managements of more than 10 shopping malls in the Klang Valley.

"Besides increasing the number of security guards, most mall operators have directed their guards to make more frequent patrols at their carparks," she said.

"Some also provide service to accompany shoppers to their cars," she told The Star.

Ms Yap said all shopping malls must have well-lit carparks with CCTVs installed and monitored.

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2...11-351862.html

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
On Life's Edge has a spectacular aura about

Liked 65 Times in 49 Posts
Re: You should never walk alone

Didn't read the news but the girl in the picture............

On Life's Edge is offline   Add to On Life's Edge's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
one more year to go...
oldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to alloldvirgin is a name known to all

Liked 348 Times in 298 Posts
Re: You should never walk alone

I think its best for the ladies to get a couple of male or female frds for shopping trips across the causeway instead of going there alone.

Old 13th June 2012, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
roseversailles is on a distinguished road

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Re: S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia

I really think that people should travel in groups overseas: no matter where they go, it is always safer to travel as a group. But of course, do not go as a HUGE group where it is hard to account everybody's safety, but a group of 4-6 people would be sufficient. Plus, one should bring too much money in hand: I will always bring a sufficient amount and leave the rest in the hotel safebox. And of course never dress too extravagantly, it will only attract thugs and low-lifes into saying you are an easy target.

I've read so many articles of car-jacking, people getting robbed or murdered in Malaysia, and it really does affect my decision into deciding whether Malaysia is a truly a safe place for holidays

" Life as I know it ... "
roseversailles is offline   Add to roseversailles's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Silly_God_Disco has a spectacular aura about

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Re: S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia

That's why I always grab my belongings tight whenever I cross the causeway bridge. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Old 13th June 2012, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
the world is my bed and the sky is my blanket
xiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nice

Liked 147 Times in 123 Posts
Re: S'pore shoppers take precaution in M'sia mall carparks

its not fair to single out Malaysian but in any place in this world, its always safer to be street smart. don't say malaysia la, even my neighbour gets rob right outside her own house at singapore. in everything its better to be careful than to be make yourself attractive for the wrong purpose.

xiaoming01 is offline   Add to xiaoming01's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by xiaoming01:
zainynn (9th October 2014)
Old 13th June 2012, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Reeve Teo has a spectacular aura about

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

Its a scary place, so ensure all precautions are take before you hit the streets at malaysia.

Reeve Teo is offline   Add to Reeve Teo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Yes, it's not as safe as reported.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Yet another lone woman attacked and robbed

Yet another lone woman attacked and robbed

There have been several cases of unaccompanied woman who were attacked by armed assailants.

Austin Camoens and Wong Pek Mei
Mon, Jun 25, 2012
The Star/Asia News Network

KUALA LUMPUR - Lone women approaching their cars appear to be the target of armed robbers.

In the past few weeks, there have been several cases of unaccompanied woman who were attacked by armed assailants.

The most recent is that of a woman who nearly had her finger severed by an armed robber near Taman Tun Dr Ismail here.

The incident occurred at around 6.30am yesterday.

"The man who was of dark complexion brandished a knife and demanded for her valuables and handbag," said Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid.

"The woman had stopped in front of a friend's house in Jalan Datuk Sulaiman when she was approached by the man on a motorcycle."

ACP Wan Abdul Bari said a scuffle broke out between the two and her finger was almost severed when he tried to slash her.

He got away with her handbag eventually.

Just 32 hours earlier, another woman was attacked and robbed about 9km away while walking in the carpark of a mall here.

"We received a report that the woman in her 20s was slashed on her head when she was about to get into her car at the Mid Valley Megamall on Friday," he said.

He said the woman had just alighted the lift near the cineplex at around 10pm when she was approached by a man armed with a sharp object.

"She struggled with the man who tried to grab her handbag but she relented when the man slashed her on the head," he said, adding that the woman lodged the police report at around 4am yesterday.

ACP Wan Abdul Bari said police were investigating the cases under Section 395 of the Penal Code for armed robbery and urged anyone with information to come forward.

Mid Valley City Sdn Bhd's management said the woman was sent to the University Malaya Medical Centre in an ambulance 25 minutes after the incident.

She was discharged the next morning.

"Her loss consists of an iPhone, a wallet with cash, the victim's identity card, her driving licence and bank cards," it said.

CCTV footage of the attack and robbery had been sent to the authorities, it said.

The cases of women being targeted by robbers came to light when Internet marketeer Chin Xin-Ci posted on Facebook about her attack and near abduction by two men at a shopping mall car park on May 27.

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+N...25-355082.html

*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
BadBrains is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Wherever you go you have to be careful esp while driving in. Not just msia

BadBrains is offline   Add to BadBrains's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by BadBrains:
zainynn (9th October 2014)
Old 29th September 2014, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Clew is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

esp females have to be very careful

Old 9th October 2014, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
battles042 is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My car got smashed in the windows like 4 times already

battles042 is offline   Add to battles042's Reputation Reply With Quote