Debate: Stressed . Christian , Buddhist or freethinker ? - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Miscellaneous Interests > Supernatural Zone » Debate: Stressed . Christian , Buddhist or freethinker ?

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2013, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Cookie__Elmo is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stressed . Christian , Buddhist or freethinker ?

hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum to post in but well, this issue have been troubling me this few days ...

I self called myself a freethinker, but I trust both side of god (sorry if my English can't make it). my family is all Buddhists, and I always been thinking to become a Christian. but the thing that's stopping me is, once I become a Christian, I can't takes joystick and give prayer to my grandfather? and I'm scared that I can't blend in with my family like sometimes where there's dinner from god festival and such. so I have left this issue aside since then.

recently, I attended my crush church service. I hesitated alot before I go cos, I trust and respect god, I won't want to go for service with this mindset. but I think since I already thought of going church before I even know him, I go ahead then.

I enjoyed the service, and there goes my rebate again... I need help. what to do?

Sponsors:
Add to Cookie__Elmo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★
EightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 293 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Stressed . Christian , Buddhist or freethinker ?

That's easy: Do research. As much research as you possibly can. Read sources from all the major religions. Figure out who sounds like they're telling the truth and who doesn't.

You can't "choose" a religion. You either believe it or you don't, "choosing" is like forcing yourself (or pretending) to believe a particular set of things.

EightyOne is offline   Add to EightyOne's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by EightyOne:
zainynn (22nd January 2013)
Old 21st January 2013, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

research on? that's the problem, I believe in both.

Cookie__Elmo is offline   Add to Cookie__Elmo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Coldalar will become famous soon enough

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

This kind of hybridization may be skillful means rather than what the old masters really believe. But personally, I speak and teach at plenty of interfaith gatherings and lead retreats at synagogues and churches, parochial schools, and learning centers here as well as in Israel. I know plenty of Christian Buddhists, Jewish Buddhists, and Buddhist Jewish Hindus, including spiritual teachers Bernie Glassman, Ram Dass, Stephen Levine, Mark Epstein, and Stephen Cope. In fact, this kind of spiritual blending is so common that there are many awkward and amusing titles for these folks: Bujus, Jubus, Hindjews, etc. Humor aside, the mixing of faiths hardly reflects a pattern of dabbling. In fact, there are some Christians whose dedication to Buddhism has resulted in their achieving the status of Zen master. They include Father Kennedy from the U.S., and Father Willitus Jaeger of Germany, who trained under the guidance of a Zen master in Japan during the decades he served as a Christian missionary there. Both still perform their priestly functions within their own church.

Brother David Steindl-Rast, author, Camaldolese monk, and long-time Zen meditator, as well as Jerry Brown, former governor of California and now mayor of Oakland, also combine their deep Christian faith with Buddhist practice, and have done so for decades.

Among my own tribe, my friend Sylvia Boorstein leads an annual Buddhist insight meditation retreat for rabbis, sponsored by the Jewish Cummings Foundation. The

rabbis say they find Buddhist meditation a complement
to, not a contradiction of, their spiritual quest.

I mention these examples in order to illustrate what exists today, as opposed to what might be appropriate on a theoretical basis.

Buddhism is less a religion than a philosophy, an ethical and psychological way of awakening. It is a way of life, a path of enlightened living. Buddhism has no real creed, dogma, or conversion ceremony. It is not about beliefs but about practice. In the Buddha's path of enlightened living, there is nothing to believe and everything to be discovered through its moral, compassionate, wise, and nonviolent practices and principles. To my mind, spiritual practice is perfect--so just do it!
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Budd...Religions.aspx

Coldalar is offline   Add to Coldalar's Reputation Reply With Quote
Members who Liked this post by Coldalar:
supreme87 (23rd January 2013)
Old 21st January 2013, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kenjo is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Just follow your heart. Thats all i can give....
I have been in your situation since young. Dad is Buddhist while mum is Christian (Protestant). I used to go to church with my mum when I was young but decided to stop when I was 14. I told her I don't want to go church half-heartedly, she kinda accept the decision easily. Now, I am freethinker. As for the joystick problem, my mum still pray to my grandparent with the joystick ^_^" When I asked why she did that, she always reply, If God can forgive all our sins then God can understand that I only sin myself to pray for the people that i loved.

sorry if my writing is messy....

kenjo is offline   Add to kenjo's Reputation Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenjo For This Useful Post:
Coldalar (21st January 2013), twyangzii (23rd January 2013)
Old 21st January 2013, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
orange_wasabi has a spectacular aura about

Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Hm.... What does your family think TS? Will they object?

Old 21st January 2013, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

kenjo - omg thanks for your reply regarding thy prayer issue, it's ease me. I'm just hesitated about the baptism issue and such. can I go for service without being a Christian? like continuing the buddhist festival and such while believing in both god. no right?

orange_wasabi - I didn't ask for my father opinion since we ain't close .. my mum just asked me why and said its up to me ...

Old 21st January 2013, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. J
JFSG is on a distinguished road

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

The way I see it, don't isolate yourself to one belief. Just do whatever you feel is right.

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Last edited by JFSG; 21st January 2013 at 06:32 PM.
JFSG is offline   Add to JFSG's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kenjo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cookie__Elmo View Post
kenjo - omg thanks for your reply regarding thy prayer issue, it's ease me. I'm just hesitated about the baptism issue and such. can I go for service without being a Christian? like continuing the buddhist festival and such while believing in both god. no right?
Sorry I cannot give a right answer to your question. Because, the answer depends on how you view or think of God and also your moral and beliefs. You shouldn't let other people influence your answer in this area.

kenjo is offline   Add to kenjo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenjo View Post
Sorry I cannot give a right answer to your question. Because, the answer depends on how you view or think of God and also your moral and beliefs. You shouldn't let other people influence your answer in this area.
it's okay , thanks for your reply .

Old 21st January 2013, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pushémon
Aiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to beholdAiyilin is a splendid one to behold

Liked 349 Times in 281 Posts

If God is indeed almighty and all-knowing, he would understand why you need to do Buddhist things when you're with your family. Religions are made to blend with each other, it's their followers who decided to make them distinct.

Last edited by Aiyilin; 21st January 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Aiyilin is offline   Add to Aiyilin's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aiyilin - thank you :")

Old 21st January 2013, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
meowme138 is on a distinguished road

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Try talking to your parents about it.

My family members are all Buddhist while i m the only one that is Christian.

meowme138 is offline   Add to meowme138's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
work work. more work?!
gimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nicegimmebanana is just really nice

Liked 140 Times in 122 Posts

research on? that's the problem, I believe in both.
whats wrong in believing in both? i am buddhist but i respect other religion too. sometimes i went to church with frens, when i go temple i also pray to indian god, 4 face thai god. i see no problem with that. if you cannot make a choice at this moment then dont make a hard choice. go on both until one day your heart is firm that tells u which one u really believe. even if you still believe in both, i think that's fine.

Old 22nd January 2013, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
New SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimmebanana View Post
whats wrong in believing in both? i am buddhist but i respect other religion too. sometimes i went to church with frens, when i go temple i also pray to indian god, 4 face thai god. i see no problem with that. if you cannot make a choice at this moment then dont make a hard choice. go on both until one day your heart is firm that tells u which one u really believe. even if you still believe in both, i think that's fine.
okay thank you I'm just kinda worried of the baptism part , if they asked, can I said I'm not ready yet and continue to go for the services?

Old 22nd January 2013, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
zainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to allzainynn is a name known to all

Liked 219 Times in 184 Posts

Doesn't matter what religion you believe. All religions preaches equal love for all, equal respect for all, and equal faith in all regardless of other race, gender and religions or free thinker.

Like 81 said, religion is not something that you pick and choose as you like. You have to believe it. If you don't then don't be one.

Not compelling you to accept one, for I believes it was against all the broad principles (all religions) in which they had hitherto been brought up. Personally for me, it was to establish religious freedom, to stop all religious persecution, to protect the houses of worship of all religions, be it mosques, temples or churches..

zainynn is offline   Add to zainynn's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
sin_istra is on a distinguished road

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

why restrict yourself to 1 religion, when you can learn from all religions?

there are always good sides and not-so-appropriate ones in all religions, so why not just learn more about all, and pick up teachings that suits you? after all, what's important isn't the religion, but the values inculcated.

"… my religion is to do good."
- Thomas Paine

Old 22nd January 2013, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Natashabby is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyway church-goers can be a free-thinker and yet worship him. Is the heart that matters. Well most youngsters go service because of company and fun. So long as you"re truly sincere, it's ok.

Natashabby is offline   Add to Natashabby's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
RichardBurnz is on a distinguished road

hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum to post in but well, this issue have been troubling me this few days ...

I self called myself a freethinker, but I trust both side of god (sorry if my English can't make it). my family is all Buddhists, and I always been thinking to become a Christian. but the thing that's stopping me is, once I become a Christian, I can't takes joystick and give prayer to my grandfather? and I'm scared that I can't blend in with my family like sometimes where there's dinner from god festival and such. so I have left this issue aside since then.

recently, I attended my crush church service. I hesitated alot before I go cos, I trust and respect god, I won't want to go for service with this mindset. but I think since I already thought of going church before I even know him, I go ahead then.

I enjoyed the service, and there goes my rebate again... I need help. what to do?

burdened with religions ? being a free thinker is best .

think about it .

attend church to accompany your girlfriend without second thoughts .

tag along your familys traditional buddhist ways without being stiff about it .

your answer ? free thinker . peace guys

RichardBurnz is offline   Add to RichardBurnz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Human Lie Detector
ShutterEye is a jewel in the roughShutterEye is a jewel in the rough

Liked 112 Times in 54 Posts

This I shall speak from my opinion through observation.
Like you, I am considered a free thinker. Do I believe in god, I do not know. But I like to believe the possibility of that. But let me speak from the context that God exists.

From there, my opinion is believe in god, but be a free-thinker.
Why?

Simple. Religion is created not for people to worship god, but for corrupted human beings labelled as Pastors to control and brainwash weak-minded souls to further their agenda under the name of god.

Let's say I believe in god. Now, on a basic level, you and I know that God always forgives and forgets. He forgive the sin, and he embraces anyone and everyone, no matter who they are. We have been taught that God is kind, and forgiving, treats people equally. Correct? So obviously, we should know that he is able and fully capable without a moment's hesitation that he can love anyone, irregardless of looks, skin, or whatever past sin they have committed, yes?

Now looking at recent news, we have Pastor Lawrence Khong who recently wants the political government to keep Section 377A of the penal code...a law that makes it an offense for 2 man to be sexual with each other.
Pastors like him, and many others whom is easy to find just by Googling, have time and time again try to label society and shape society in more ways then one, claiming that stardom is a satanic bullcrap, dressing skimpy and sexily is a sin, to think perverted is even a sin...yes, they go as far as micro managing the stupidest of things. I believe if you think little, you'll know what they have tried to control.

Now, with this sort of actions, do you think for one moment, that God would accept this sort of actions? God is the creator of all things, so they say. There has been cases of even Gay animals, and animals...aren't they God's work? Aren't we men and women the image of God himself?
You may be wondering by now, what does all this got to do with you?
Simple. I'm suggesting you be a believer, but in your own way of how you know God truly is.

When you find yourself going to the church, you read paragraphs from the Bible, but never truly reading the WHOLE picture to gather the actual context of what those statements mean. The Pastors simply use those phrases and shape it to create their own image. Because they possess the title of pastor, followed by people seeking to believe and thinking god is not wrong, the Pastor's words brainwashes you. In the end, you believe what they say, even if it meant hurting others and labeling others.
Being gay is often a sin to certain religions, strongly with the Christians perhaps. But lets say it really is a sin. Won't God still love and accept this minority? Embrace and love them rather then label and say they cannot be who they are?

There is much to write. But cut it short, think about how God, a man of great love and passion to forgive, who let's say Jesus who is nailed to the cross but asks God to forgive the people who nailed him to the cross,...with such forgiving sense of conviction, do you think he would hate people who in society is deemed not normal or different? Do you think God will hate you for loving your family? You respect your family and their beliefs. Do you think God will deny you that?

If you wish to believe in a higher being, do it with your own heart and soul. Do not let pastors and members dictate the way you should believe. The fact that you feel different is okay. Believe in Jesus if you want, but carry that joss-stick, pray for your grandfather, do what you know is in respect to your family that you love. God of course, will not deny you your respect and love for your family.

Religion that restricts people that may hurt them in anyway is not a religion, it's dictatorship. Religion is made by men to control men using God's name. Often, truly strong individuals who believe only in themselves aren't weak. But we know majority of the human race need faith in this age of hardship, and manipulating them is a breeze for sure, and that is what religion does. A Christian Church does not exist physically. It exists spiritually. One that requires money to become bigger only seize to exist within the Pastor's agenda. Why build a church with money that can be used to help the poor and homeless?

Religion in a global context is a big fat hypocritical agenda for domination of control. If you really spend the time to think about you'll realize I make sense.
So in the end, go with what you want to believe in. God exist for you, believe in him, and do as he would do when he was human. Forgiving a sin no matter what it is, and loving everyone and respecting everyone for who they are and their beliefs and other religion. That is what God is all about. A loving and truly compassionate being.

Anyone who speaks otherwise, even if it's by the hundreds or thousands. I dare say they are all wrong. And it takes true courage to know that and go against the massive wave of people who choose to believe the words of a man rather then the words of a real God that is inside you, speaking to you.