Taiwan: Showgirls strip for the dead - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Miscellaneous Interests > Supernatural Zone » Taiwan: Showgirls strip for the dead

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2012, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Taiwan: Showgirls strip for the dead

Taiwan: Showgirls strip for the dead

The show climaxed with pole-dancing and striptease in front of an audience consisting of men, women and children.

Wed, Oct 10, 2012
AFP

TAOYUAN, Taiwan - Dressed in mini skirts barely covering their hips, the two girls took to the neon-lit stage and moved vigorously to the loud pumping pop music.

Their job: to appease the wandering spirits.

As the temple facade in the background changed colour from the fireworks lighting up the Taiwanese night sky, the show climaxed with pole-dancing and striptease in front of an audience consisting of men, women and children.

"This is hard work but I need to make a living," said 18 year-old En En, out of breath after stripping for the crowd during the recent religious festival.

En En had just earned Tw$3,000 (S$123) for her act, which began on stage, but ended as she mingled with the audience, letting men touch her for tips.

Folk religion in Taiwan is a unique mixture of the spiritual and the earthly, and one of its most remarkable manifestations is the practice of hiring showgirls to perform at festivals, weddings, and even funerals.

The girls work on "electronic flower cars" - specially designed trucks equipped with light and sound equipment that can become a stage, allowing them to travel to performances often held in smaller cities and rural areas.

"The groups attract crowds to our events and they perform for the gods and the spirits to seek blessings," said Chen Chung-hsien, an official at Wu Fu Temple, a Taoist landmark in north Taiwan's Taoyuan county.

"They have become part of our religion and folk culture."

At 26, Chiang Pei-ying is already a veteran performer with nearly 20 years of experience, travelling across Taiwan with her father and two sisters for their family business to entertain audiences - both alive and dead.

Chiang made her debut when she was in kindergarten because she liked singing and dancing on stage and has become a celebrity performer with her sisters, charging up to Tw$80,000 for a 20-minute show.

She said she enjoys her line of work, even if she has to deal with some odd requests from customers such as walking around coffins and singing for the deceased at funerals.

"I've watched this since I was little so it's nothing peculiar for me. Performing for the dead is just like performing for the living people," she said.

"They liked to sing when they were alive and their relatives thought they would have liked to have somebody sing for them in the end. For me, I get good tips and I hope I am accumulating good karma too."

"Hot and noisy"

Other performers, however, make much less money and tend to be more discreet about their job, especially those who still do striptease despite risking arrest.

Stripping nude is rarely seen in public now because it is a criminal offence, but partial stripping is still performed at festivals, private parties and funerals, people in the business say.

"Some people like going to hostess clubs, so when they pass away their relatives arrange striptease to reflect their interests while they were alive," said Chiang Wan-yuan, Pei-ying's father and a 30-year veteran in the business.

It is difficult to imagine a similar show going on outside a European village church, and some local critics have dismissed the practice, which emerged in the 1970s, as shocking and vulgar.

Others, however, see it as a natural extension of a traditional folk culture lacking in the sharp separation of sex and religion often seen in other parts of the world.

Marc Moskowitz, an anthropologist at the University of South Carolina, said the practice evolved out of the special Chinese concept of "hot and noisy", which brims with positive connotations.

"In traditional Chinese and contemporary Taiwanese culture this signifies that for an event to be fun or noteworthy it must be full of noise and crowds," said Moskowitz, who shot a documentary "Dancing for the Dead" in 2011.

He added most people who watched his work appeared to enjoy it and recognise this practice as an "interesting and unique cultural phenomenon," which to his knowledge is only found in Taiwan.

"As I watched these performances I came to appreciate the idea of celebrating someone's life to help assuage the feelings of grief," he said.

Source: http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...09-376445.html

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts
Re: Taiwan: Showgirls strip for the dead

Very happening overseas indeed. Something you will not see here locally.

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
Very happening overseas indeed. Something you will not see here locally.
Yes, I believe it would be an eye-opener if it is staged in Singapore.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
General_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really niceGeneral_Zhaoyun is just really nice

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

This is not a recent phenomenon in Taiwan, but a common event that took place in Taiwan since 40 years ago, with one purpose: to entertain and appease the deceased spirits.

All the Tikopeh likes to crowd around Chinese temples to see these 電子花車女郎. Unlike Buddhism, Taoism does not take sexual morality "super" seriously/strictly and these acts were sometimes being criticized for the moral decadence by the public. There are even Chinese Taoist deity for sex worker (in fact every profession has a folks deity/god for worship). Nevertheless, it does have an appeal to attract crowds to the temples.

I wonder whether these 花車女郎 will arrive in Singapore one day to entertain all the good brothers.

Last edited by General_Zhaoyun; 11th October 2012 at 02:15 PM.
General_Zhaoyun is offline   Add to General_Zhaoyun's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Mr.J will become famous soon enough

Liked 23 Times in 23 Posts

If the dead person like the strip girl i think the girl hoseh LOLS!!

Mr.J is offline   Add to Mr.J's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
If the dead person like the strip girl i think the girl hoseh LOLS!!
Hmm...You referring to this ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthumous_marriage

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

I hope the dead will rest in peace, and not arise after seeing the strip tease of the showgirls.

Old 12th October 2012, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Mr.J will become famous soon enough

Liked 23 Times in 23 Posts

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
Hmm...You referring to this ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthumous_marriage
Too chin don understand LOLS

Originally Posted by *StarDust* View Post
I hope the dead will rest in peace, and not arise after seeing the strip tease of the showgirls.
Ya lo should let them rest in peace see so much zarbo later go down wan to come up again LOLS

Mr.J is offline   Add to Mr.J's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
adamteo is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

like that also can....

Old 18th October 2012, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
Ya lo should let them rest in peace see so much zarbo later go down wan to come up again LOLS
I do not that day would never come.