Teaching children about religion - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » Teaching children about religion

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2014, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Esmay is on a distinguished road

Teaching children about religion

Were you raised in a faith-based home? Did your parents encourage your understanding of your family's religion? I think it's important for kids to have religion (regardless of which religion) in their lives. It has been a huge help to me throughout my life and I hope my daughter feels the same way when she's grown.

Sponsors:
Add to Esmay's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
New SGClubber
Habella is on a distinguished road

Re: Teaching children about religion

Yes, I was raised with religion. I kind of distanced myself from it when I started gaining my independence, but I eventually realized that I needed it in my life and went back to it. I think you have the right idea to raise your daughter with a strong faith.

Habella is offline   Add to Habella's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
중요 인물
noorizone has a spectacular aura about

Liked 73 Times in 62 Posts

No. To me, religion is not so important as long as we are in right track.

My parents haven't taught me their religion yet. If they do, I would be falling asleep. No offence thought.

noorizone is offline   Add to noorizone's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
TheSunHalo is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hallo you are truly apt on benefits of a religion! Actually truly religion allows a glimpse of another side of society, a society where people train up morally righteous usually religious conduct and integrate to the sociocommunity, Christian prayers dedicate their service to the eternal God and bring service to their lives doing church service, Muslims appreciate and dedicate their service to all-powerful and all-knowing Allah for refrainment from all lard and active duty for all muslim practices and Buddhists practice and serve the sentient Buddha engage one another in society,
As social as religion is society and religion not cohesive and codependant?
How is one not stronger from the societal bonds of religious society, and how do your strength of religion not strengthen religious society?

Last edited by TheSunHalo; 27th January 2014 at 09:59 PM.
TheSunHalo is offline   Add to TheSunHalo's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
pandandesign is on a distinguished road

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well, I wasn't raised in a religious family, which I would have my own choice of religion when I want to believe in. However, my dad believes in Buddhism, which we often go to the temple because he brings me to go there sometimes for praying. I would stick with Buddhism because I don't want to pick a religion and my dad and I will have a conflict on individual religion. In my culture, we do a lot of praying at the temple, which I think if I go with something else, then it's kind of against my parents' religious belief.

pandandesign is offline   Add to pandandesign's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Lin23 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Esmay View Post
Were you raised in a faith-based home? Did your parents encourage your understanding of your family's religion? I think it's important for kids to have religion (regardless of which religion) in their lives. It has been a huge help to me throughout my life and I hope my daughter feels the same way when she's grown.
Yes, I am apart of a very religious family. We are of the Christian faith. My parents wouldn't agree with you on that though: you saying that it doesn't matter which religion a child grows up into. I agree with you though that religion is very important in instilling certain values and preventing deviance in children as they grow older.

Lin23 is offline   Add to Lin23's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noorizone View Post
No. To me, religion is not so important as long as we are in right track.

My parents haven't taught me their religion yet. If they do, I would be falling asleep. No offence thought.
I don't think that you were being offensive. You were only being honest and truthful. It's just the way life is. Some of us don't care about religion as long as we are living morally good.

Old 12th February 2014, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habella View Post
Yes, I was raised with religion. I kind of distanced myself from it when I started gaining my independence, but I eventually realized that I needed it in my life and went back to it. I think you have the right idea to raise your daughter with a strong faith.
I think we all as religious people experience that face; that time in your life when you start becoming a man or a woman, an adolescent, and you realize that no one really has the right to force you to worship what or who they worship. But eventually sometimes, we start making up our own minds to follow the same faith because we have judged and evaluated it for ourselves, and find it fitting for our own lives.

Old 12th February 2014, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
New SGClubber
sarahjmuma is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was raised in a fairly religious family. As I grew up though and started thinking for myself and researching history a bit, I've come to realize that religion really is just a tool of manipulation. Those in power use religion to control large masses of people and frightened people are easier to control. Many religious people are religious due to fear on some level whether they want to admit it or not. This is what I teach my children about religion.

sarahjmuma is offline   Add to sarahjmuma's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
heavendevil is on a distinguished road

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Nope, I was not raised in a religious home. Even though my father practices religion he never enforced it on us. Because my father is a Buddhist so we became Buddhist too. My mother on the other hand, never cared for religious teachings.

heavendevil is offline   Add to heavendevil's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Eugene Thong will become famous soon enough

Liked 31 Times in 30 Posts

I was not raised in a religious home, and my parents aren't forcing anything onto me.

I feel that teaching children about religion from a young age does help them, especially to give them something to rely on, and for them to pray to make things better (so to speak).

However, if they were born into it, they may just believe it purely because they were used to it from a young age. I feel that this isn't fair for both the child and the religion.

It would be ideal if the child grows up being exposed to religion AND no religion, so they will learn to make the right choice that is the most suitable for themselves.

It will become a problem if they use religion as an excuse to do things though. Like if they do something bad (or sin), they shouldn't easily be able to confess to it and get it over with so easily. Religion also shouldn't be the only thing to tell them what's right and what's wrong. They shouldn't follow it blindly.

TL;DR: Sure, it may be helpful for children to grow up with a religion, but they need to think for themselves and not follow a religion just for the sake of it.

Eugene Thong is offline   Add to Eugene Thong's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
New SGClubber
joeyjevv is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was raised in a very religious home but religion was never shoved down our systems like a requirement.

The thing is, by tradition for Catholics, you are baptized as a baby and so you literally had no idea about the religion you were getting into. Some schools also required that their students have been baptized. These things take away the value of faith in my opinion. They turn religion into a mere requirement and not a manifestation of faith.

I grew up appreciating religion because it wasn't forced on me and it was not something they required from me in order to be moral. I think that's the most important thing - that I grow up a good person who makes sound and morally correct decisions.

I think religion is important as a basis of faith. But it shouldn't turn into a political/societal way of controlling people. It's a matter of faith and not of uneducated traditions. That's how I would present my future kids with religion. Definitely won't impose faith.

joeyjevv is offline   Add to joeyjevv's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
gwynified is on a distinguished road

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I was raised in a buddhist family, but like the commenter above, it was never forced down my throat - in fact, I'm an atheist now and my family doesn't mind at all. I'm very happy without religion, and while I do follow my parents and family to pray and seek blessings at temples whenever they want me to, I don't believe in deities (or God/Allah/etc) and do it only out of respect for them. I don't plan to marry a religious person because I don't want my children to be brought up with religion emphasised throughout their childhood - I see it as a form of early indoctrination i.e. brainwashing.

I'm not making any judgements here, but I don't want my children to go through that - sure, they can be religious all they want when they are old enough to make their own decisions, but they should not be put through mandatory rituals like weekly prayer or sessions. It will be a religion-free household but they are free to do what they want later and I will definitely not impose my own atheist ideals on them.

I have noted, however, that faith is an extremely effective way of imparting morals and giving people hope. But it doesn't justify the presence of a deity nonetheless, and that is essentially my point of contention with religion. And therefore despite the plausible benefits I probably won't be encouraging my children to believe in a supreme deity anytime soon.

Last edited by gwynified; 11th March 2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
gwynified is offline   Add to gwynified's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Gelsemium is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My parents didn't give me any kind of religious education and to be honest I think that was OK, I think that more around teen age we might start thinking about religion, not before.

Gelsemium is offline   Add to Gelsemium's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 04:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
tajnz will become famous soon enough

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

My mother came from a religious family and I went to religious schools however I'm agnostic like my dad. I don't hate religion but from a young age felt I couldn't relate to many of the principles of Catholicism e.g women not being able to be priests, priests not being able to have families, the focus on suffering and unworthiness of mankind, stories like Adam and Eve and the intolerance of people who don't subscribe to the religion.

Agnostic and atheists can be kind, moral people too. You don't need religion to be a good person.

tajnz is offline   Add to tajnz's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 02:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Peninha is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You describe a story pretty similar to the one of my mother, she spent her youth at catholic schools and she almost turned out a nun, but now she doesn't care. I am glad she's not a nun!!!

Peninha is offline   Add to Peninha's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
A mystery
MysteryNotes will become famous soon enough

Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts

Long Story short - I was raised in a catholic family.
Sent to a catholic school, forced to go to church.

Did i enjoy any of it? No.
As soon as i learned critical thinking i realized how ridiculous it all was.

I'm an atheist now and have never looked back since.

My thoughts:
If you really want to indoctrinate your children, there's nothing much other people can do about it..
I do think though, that people should let their kids grow up and mature before trying to force a religion down a unsuspecting child's throat.

There's a very good reason why many religions require you to pass it on to your children.
Simply because, very young children don't really question much and simply accept what you tell them.

Unless it saying "NO" to buying candy, of course. Then your kids suddenly acquire amazing debate/argument skills.

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Last edited by MysteryNotes; 25th March 2014 at 08:55 AM.
MysteryNotes is offline   Add to MysteryNotes's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
xamtaro is a jewel in the roughxamtaro is a jewel in the rough

Liked 56 Times in 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tajnz View Post
My mother came from a religious family and I went to religious schools however I'm agnostic like my dad. I don't hate religion but from a young age felt I couldn't relate to many of the principles of Catholicism e.g women not being able to be priests, priests not being able to have families, the focus on suffering and unworthiness of mankind, stories like Adam and Eve and the intolerance of people who don't subscribe to the religion.

Agnostic and atheists can be kind, moral people too. You don't need religion to be a good person.
You dont need. But it helps.
growing up free thinker I always questioned "why".

Mom say cannot sleep with girl until married? Why.
dad say should not fight? Why.

where do these rules come from? Who gave people the authority to make such rules?

Religion provides a all in one value set that subscribes to a higher power.

Its not necessary but it helps a lot.

and religious practices is also a good way to train soft skills like time management, discipline, commitment etc.

it requires discipline to pray 5 times a day or fast from 7am to 7pm.

yes u dont need religion to learn that. But you could very well equally NOT learn those soft skills.

religion just makes it easier.

xamtaro is offline   Add to xamtaro's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 04:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Bukitimah is on a distinguished road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you are born is an ulu island with no contact with outside world, would you learn of any religion and thus make you a less caring or whatever you wish to associate with a religious person?

No religion taught people to be bad but it is how people interpreted it. That is way you have plenty different sects from a single religion. It does not make you more right or more wrong.

It is good to have one if you are weak without self confident. However, it is all about yourself and don't leave everything to religion. The person you learning from is also as human as you. If it is something you don't wish to happen to you neither you want it to happen to others. So the idea of if you don't follow me, you are doom and if I follow blindly, I am also saved is rubbish.

Bukitimah is offline   Add to Bukitimah's Reputation Reply With Quote