Thailand - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Travel Talk > Thailand » Thailand

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2008, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
May_Tay is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thailand

My bf & I am going to thailand somewhere in April/Sept next year for a short 1 week holiday. Hence, I need to do some research on Hotels & Shopping Place for my shopping sprees apart from JJ weekend market, Siam paragon, Siam center point & Siam square?

Anyone care to share ur experience & places u visit? most importantly, the elephant! anyone has sit on it before?

thks!!

Sponsors:
Add to May_Tay's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
wildswans is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Thailand

Chaktucak market?

Stay near the MTR, easy to get around

wildswans is offline   Add to wildswans's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
jonwhoosh is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

internet has the most comprehensive information! next research area is the library, grab the guides and books there from lonely planet... and a few simple language like "how much?" or "thank you" would come perfectly handy! borrow from library can liao. no need to waste money to buy.

next up! hotels. i was there with my gf last sept 07, and we stayed in baiyoke sky hotel, the tallest hotel in bkk! every morning internation buffet breakfast at the 77th floor. the view was just amazing. they gave us a free upgrade to i think superior room, so our room on the 37th floor was just huge for all of our stuff from the insane shopping spree we had!

next! getting around. taxis are simply too cheap to be true. start trip at 37bhat, which converts to about $1+. jumps every 5 baht every few clicks, dosent matter though, cos its dirt cheap! NO ERP, NO PEAK PERIOD CHARGES, NO NOTHING!! whack only! a word of advice, plan ur get around earlier, cos u dun wanna be taking a cab between 4pm to 7pm, cos everywhere would be jammed up. thats where the tuk tuk comes in!!!

taxi - ask them to wind down and say "METER?!?". when they say "METER! OKAY!" back to u, means okay. make sure they on the meter when u get in. always stand ur ground and dun give in to their cabbage head prices.. taxi galore there, dun worry about not being able to get another one. i particularly like purple colour ones! haha...

tuk tuk - base on the distance, flag one down and tell the rider where u are heading to. then they will give u a price. slash it by HALF( of course must base on the distance u are travelling to la.. haha). for instance, my hotel was not directly located beside the sky train, so we always take a tuk tuk to the nearest station for 40baht. it was about a 1.5km +- ride. stand firm on ur Price! dun let them intimidate u...

SKY TRAIN - IMHO, the best way to get around the core centre of bkk! the farecard is like MRT time, before the ez-link transformation. their farecard purchase machines also like our MRT in the past one, using coins! map is easy to read, with locations in english as well as prices. they have unlimited rides day passes, or limited train rides pass per day. me and my gf only buy per trip passes, cos its cheaper..

buses - dun bother. its too complicated and too crowded!

next on the agenda. SHOPPINGGGG!!!!!

lets start with the markets first.

Chatuchak - its located at the last stop of the sky train station! when u are approaching the station, u'll be able to see the horde of stalls and the market!!!! its insanity. 100000 TIMES BIGGER than our Bugis village! buy everything and anything! furniture, clothes, makan, pets (seriously! puppies and cats! very nice and cute breed!!!) and alot alot alot more! its ridiculously AMAZING! just too incredible. WEEKENDS only. start from 1030am to 6pm. trust me, u'll need about both the weekdays to finish the shopping massacre at the location. get the chatuchak map just before u enter, sure helps alot.

suan lom - night market! starts at 6+pm. sells tourist souveniers, toys, toys, clothes, furnitures. definitely not as exciting as chatchak. take a meter taxi there and back. no direct sky train station. closes at about 11pm. the last time i heard a couple of weeks back, they might be closing suanlom down to make way for a hotel or something.

khao san road - imagine one of the lorongs in geylang. not the environment, but the road structure. its just a straight road, about 500metres long, both sides filled with cheap motels and bars, as well as push carts that serve cocktails and beer! imagine mini zouk on wheels! whatever shopping u can find here, u would have already found it in some other shopping places already. just go there and experience the magic of backpacking in bangkok! the people and place there.

pratunam - where my hotel was directly located. its like a place with multiple intersections of roadside stalls, plus pratunam centre, where wholesale galores can be found! a lot of our local tshirts and other stuff can be found in pratuname centre. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! however gotta be in bulk, wholesaler mah.

MAH BOON KHRONG SHOPPING CENTRE! (MBK) - to me, THE ONLY shopping centre that u can visit for shopping! massive female handbag shops, each going for 199baht everywhere!! dirt cheap! remember to get ur tourist discount card from the information counter, but not exactly like u need it la... hahhaa.. remember to try the sizzler's restaurant at the top floor near the cinema area, massive salad bar and good western food! and its only SGD$10.90 for a set meal and FREE FLOW OF SALAD! contains main course, free flow drink and soup! compared to our local sizzler, no fight...

thats all for now i can remember. a few more tips. get a good MAP around BKK, and plan in advance where u wanna go during where, as the opening hours can vary for different places. never assume its like our local opening hours.

never go for anyone who tries to tout u into anything, be it shopping, taxi, wadever. NEVER NEVER go with them..

alrighty. just my 2 cents. if i can remember anything, or maybe u could ask ur questions, den i'll answer to the best of my memory!!

jonwhoosh added 7 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

oh yar i just remembered. shopping centres like central, siam paragon and etc, good to go there and experience the thai kind of orchard shopping centres. soooo, in terms of pricing, its a direct conversion, not much difference. get wad i mean bah... hahaha

Last edited by jonwhoosh; 8th October 2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
jonwhoosh is offline   Add to jonwhoosh's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
kpop91 is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hotels that i researched was twin towers hotel. 3 star. Half way btn MBK and chinatown. Chiantown is quite a nice place for food n knick knacks at night. So do visit chinatown. And save 1 entire day time for CHATUCHAK. Shop till u drop dead. If shopping is not ur cup of tea, which is ur 1 wk in bkk, i suggest u can visit the famous grand palace, wat pho etc...Or maybe day trip to pataya. 1 week is very long for BKK. Most ppl stay 4 days. If 1 wk all shopping quite wasted. Siam Paragon is mostly branded stuff, but the Paragon Food Hall and Ocean World is worth checking out. And theres a special zoo i dunnoe if your interested, its located on top of a shopping mall! Its not really publicised because the tourism management discourage ppl from visiting. There are tigers and gorillas in the zoo! Omg. The zoo is call Pata Pinklao Zoo, located near Khao San road, the famous backpacker/shopping lane. =)

Old 9th October 2008, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwhoosh View Post
internet has the most comprehensive information! next research area is the library, grab the guides and books there from lonely planet... and a few simple language like "how much?" or "thank you" would come perfectly handy! borrow from library can liao. no need to waste money to buy.

next up! hotels. i was there with my gf last sept 07, and we stayed in baiyoke sky hotel, the tallest hotel in bkk! every morning internation buffet breakfast at the 77th floor. the view was just amazing. they gave us a free upgrade to i think superior room, so our room on the 37th floor was just huge for all of our stuff from the insane shopping spree we had!

next! getting around. taxis are simply too cheap to be true. start trip at 37bhat, which converts to about $1+. jumps every 5 baht every few clicks, dosent matter though, cos its dirt cheap! NO ERP, NO PEAK PERIOD CHARGES, NO NOTHING!! whack only! a word of advice, plan ur get around earlier, cos u dun wanna be taking a cab between 4pm to 7pm, cos everywhere would be jammed up. thats where the tuk tuk comes in!!!

taxi - ask them to wind down and say "METER?!?". when they say "METER! OKAY!" back to u, means okay. make sure they on the meter when u get in. always stand ur ground and dun give in to their cabbage head prices.. taxi galore there, dun worry about not being able to get another one. i particularly like purple colour ones! haha...

tuk tuk - base on the distance, flag one down and tell the rider where u are heading to. then they will give u a price. slash it by HALF( of course must base on the distance u are travelling to la.. haha). for instance, my hotel was not directly located beside the sky train, so we always take a tuk tuk to the nearest station for 40baht. it was about a 1.5km +- ride. stand firm on ur Price! dun let them intimidate u...

SKY TRAIN - IMHO, the best way to get around the core centre of bkk! the farecard is like MRT time, before the ez-link transformation. their farecard purchase machines also like our MRT in the past one, using coins! map is easy to read, with locations in english as well as prices. they have unlimited rides day passes, or limited train rides pass per day. me and my gf only buy per trip passes, cos its cheaper..

buses - dun bother. its too complicated and too crowded!

next on the agenda. SHOPPINGGGG!!!!!

lets start with the markets first.

Chatuchak - its located at the last stop of the sky train station! when u are approaching the station, u'll be able to see the horde of stalls and the market!!!! its insanity. 100000 TIMES BIGGER than our Bugis village! buy everything and anything! furniture, clothes, makan, pets (seriously! puppies and cats! very nice and cute breed!!!) and alot alot alot more! its ridiculously AMAZING! just too incredible. WEEKENDS only. start from 1030am to 6pm. trust me, u'll need about both the weekdays to finish the shopping massacre at the location. get the chatuchak map just before u enter, sure helps alot.

suan lom - night market! starts at 6+pm. sells tourist souveniers, toys, toys, clothes, furnitures. definitely not as exciting as chatchak. take a meter taxi there and back. no direct sky train station. closes at about 11pm. the last time i heard a couple of weeks back, they might be closing suanlom down to make way for a hotel or something.

khao san road - imagine one of the lorongs in geylang. not the environment, but the road structure. its just a straight road, about 500metres long, both sides filled with cheap motels and bars, as well as push carts that serve cocktails and beer! imagine mini zouk on wheels! whatever shopping u can find here, u would have already found it in some other shopping places already. just go there and experience the magic of backpacking in bangkok! the people and place there.

pratunam - where my hotel was directly located. its like a place with multiple intersections of roadside stalls, plus pratunam centre, where wholesale galores can be found! a lot of our local tshirts and other stuff can be found in pratuname centre. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! however gotta be in bulk, wholesaler mah.

MAH BOON KHRONG SHOPPING CENTRE! (MBK) - to me, THE ONLY shopping centre that u can visit for shopping! massive female handbag shops, each going for 199baht everywhere!! dirt cheap! remember to get ur tourist discount card from the information counter, but not exactly like u need it la... hahhaa.. remember to try the sizzler's restaurant at the top floor near the cinema area, massive salad bar and good western food! and its only SGD$10.90 for a set meal and FREE FLOW OF SALAD! contains main course, free flow drink and soup! compared to our local sizzler, no fight...

thats all for now i can remember. a few more tips. get a good MAP around BKK, and plan in advance where u wanna go during where, as the opening hours can vary for different places. never assume its like our local opening hours.

never go for anyone who tries to tout u into anything, be it shopping, taxi, wadever. NEVER NEVER go with them..

alrighty. just my 2 cents. if i can remember anything, or maybe u could ask ur questions, den i'll answer to the best of my memory!!

jonwhoosh added 7 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

oh yar i just remembered. shopping centres like central, siam paragon and etc, good to go there and experience the thai kind of orchard shopping centres. soooo, in terms of pricing, its a direct conversion, not much difference. get wad i mean bah... hahaha
although internet has the most comprehensive information but nth is really reliable from what we read.hence, i'm seeking for those we have been there before & share the experience.

btw thks a lot! u do provide me lots of info!

May_Tay added 20 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by kpop91 View Post
Hotels that i researched was twin towers hotel. 3 star. Half way btn MBK and chinatown. Chiantown is quite a nice place for food n knick knacks at night. So do visit chinatown. And save 1 entire day time for CHATUCHAK. Shop till u drop dead. If shopping is not ur cup of tea, which is ur 1 wk in bkk, i suggest u can visit the famous grand palace, wat pho etc...Or maybe day trip to pataya. 1 week is very long for BKK. Most ppl stay 4 days. If 1 wk all shopping quite wasted. Siam Paragon is mostly branded stuff, but the Paragon Food Hall and Ocean World is worth checking out. And theres a special zoo i dunnoe if your interested, its located on top of a shopping mall! Its not really publicised because the tourism management discourage ppl from visiting. There are tigers and gorillas in the zoo! Omg. The zoo is call Pata Pinklao Zoo, located near Khao San road, the famous backpacker/shopping lane. =)
the CHATUCHAK is only open on weekend?? what abt JJ market? is it gd? and can ppl touch the tigers in the zoo?

Last edited by May_Tay; 9th October 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Post Bumping
May_Tay is offline   Add to May_Tay's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
cakecake is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

may i know what is the name of shop that sells 199baht bag in MBK? which floor? thanks

cakecake is offline   Add to cakecake's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
jonwhoosh is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cakecake View Post
may i know what is the name of shop that sells 199baht bag in MBK? which floor? thanks
its at any other levels! go walk around! more than one shop! i should still think its 199baht everywhere... hahhaa...

jonwhoosh added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by May_Tay View Post
although internet has the most comprehensive information but nth is really reliable from what we read.hence, i'm seeking for those we have been there before & share the experience.

hmmm. actually during my first trip there with my gf, i did get a lot of my info from the internet. if u feel insecure of the source of the info, maybe u could borrow the books from library and there compare the 2, see if they actually match...

the CHATUCHAK is only open on weekend?? what abt JJ market? is it gd? and can ppl touch the tigers in the zoo?
JJ market = chatuchak market. is just that some places in bkk spell it as jatujak market instead. wadever, cos it still means shopping mayhem and insanity there!!!

Last edited by jonwhoosh; 9th October 2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
jonwhoosh is offline   Add to jonwhoosh's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

touch tigers? O.o I dun think cn so danger. But the zoo very amazing, build on top of shopping mall.

kpop91 added 2 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by cakecake View Post
MBK almost entire floor got sell $199 bags. But i saw 1 last time on food court floor is entire shop 199. =)

Last edited by kpop91; 9th October 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
kpop91 is offline   Add to kpop91's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

touch tigers? O.o I dun think cn so danger. But the zoo very amazing, build on top of shopping mall.

kpop91 added 2 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

MBK almost entire floor got sell $199 bags. But i saw 1 last time on food court floor is entire shop 199. =)
LOL. yup. i've nv seen a zoo on top of a shopping mall before ya & i know there is a zoo in thailand whereby ppl can touch the white tiger because it has been rise up by human since it was born that's why they dun attack human being.wondering where is the zoo

May_Tay added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by jonwhoosh View Post
its at any other levels! go walk around! more than one shop! i should still think its 199baht everywhere... hahhaa...

jonwhoosh added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

JJ market = chatuchak market. is just that some places in bkk spell it as jatujak market instead. wadever, cos it still means shopping mayhem and insanity there!!!
Omg!...i really dunno JJ market = chatuchak market. hehez...thk u

May_Tay added 6 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

yeahey!!! i found out where to go to touch the tiger le!!! visit this link http://www.tigertemplethailand.com/t..._thailand.html
ppl who want to go thailand can consider to pay these tiger a visit too^^

Last edited by May_Tay; 9th October 2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Old 10th October 2008, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
New SGClubber
khonlynxx is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I on leisure trips I usually stay at Bangkok city suite. (google it)

Only 850 Baht (single) / 900 Baht (double) (about 30ish SGD). CHeep CHeep. And pretty new hotel.

I take taxis everywhere I am whenever in Bkk... Just make sure the taxi drivers go by the meter.

I love night shopping in Bkk - Suan lum night bazaar and later in the night, patpong night market.

khonlynxx is offline   Add to khonlynxx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL. yup. i've nv seen a zoo on top of a shopping mall before ya & i know there is a zoo in thailand whereby ppl can touch the white tiger because it has been rise up by human since it was born that's why they dun attack human being.wondering where is the zoo

May_Tay added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Omg!...i really dunno JJ market = chatuchak market. hehez...thk u

May_Tay added 6 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

yeahey!!! i found out where to go to touch the tiger le!!! visit this link http://www.tigertemplethailand.com/t..._thailand.html
ppl who want to go thailand can consider to pay these tiger a visit too^^
but its not located in BKK. Its located at kachanaburi. Damn scary. Amazing race went there before. Since u stay 1 wk, u can visit Damneon Saduak Floating Market! quite touristy but the experience ya? The market open in morning till noon only though...

Old 12th October 2008, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but its not located in BKK. Its located at kachanaburi. Damn scary. Amazing race went there before. Since u stay 1 wk, u can visit Damneon Saduak Floating Market! quite touristy but the experience ya? The market open in morning till noon only though...
scary as in the location or the tiger??

Old 12th October 2008, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

scary as in the location or the tiger??
well something happen there. A british tourist tio rape by a monk. But well long ago case. The tigers quite scarey, like anytime cn pounce on u.

Old 13th October 2008, 05:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
New SGClubber
whiz_zard is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going next weekend, staying at Baiyoke Boutique cos it is near to Pratunam Market. First time staying there, not sure if it is nice but quite budget so not gonna expect a fabulous one.

The previous time I went, stayed at Indra Regent(old hotel), which I think it is quite convenient to get around, Pratunam Market is just at the doorstep. Plus 10 to 15min walk to Platinum Mall.

I would prefer Platinum Mall over MBK, get a 'wholesale price' if you buy 3 pcs.

I'm trying to find out more about BoBae Market... Heard of but never been there... Anyone can tell me whether is it still open? Once in Bangkok, there was a taxi driver who told me that this place opens in the morning and closes very early. I did not manage to find that place...

Please share if anyone has more information... Thanks!

whiz_zard is offline   Add to whiz_zard's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz_zard View Post
I'm going next weekend, staying at Baiyoke Boutique cos it is near to Pratunam Market. First time staying there, not sure if it is nice but quite budget so not gonna expect a fabulous one.

The previous time I went, stayed at Indra Regent(old hotel), which I think it is quite convenient to get around, Pratunam Market is just at the doorstep. Plus 10 to 15min walk to Platinum Mall.

I would prefer Platinum Mall over MBK, get a 'wholesale price' if you buy 3 pcs.

I'm trying to find out more about BoBae Market... Heard of but never been there... Anyone can tell me whether is it still open? Once in Bangkok, there was a taxi driver who told me that this place opens in the morning and closes very early. I did not manage to find that place...

Please share if anyone has more information... Thanks!
go to bobae market in the morning. Nothing much for me though. U must buy in bulk to get cheaper prices. Anyway, theres a hotel attached to bobae, called prince hotel or something. Since u stay at pratunam area, u cn take a cab?