Theory: Women With Daughters Don't Need Husbands - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Love & Relationships > Family Matters » Theory: Women With Daughters Don't Need Husbands

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2010, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Theory: Women With Daughters Don't Need Husbands

(NEWSER) – Sociologists have puzzled over an odd stat for years: Parents are more likely to divorce if they have girls instead of boys. The New York Times parenting blog today takes note of a new theory by a Notre Dame psychologist: Women who have daughters don't need a husband as much "because they know that with a girl, they'll never be lonely or without help."

These women "may be less willing to tolerate any bad behaviors from their husbands (and less willing to stay married)," writes psychologist Anita E. Kelly in Psychology Today. "This idea could even explain why couples expecting a girl are less likely to marry: A woman carrying a girl anticipates that she won't need a husband." As they say, girls rule, boys drool.

http://www.newser.com/story/99966/th...-husbands.html

Sponsors:
Add to fgfmse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
LostMeow is a jewel in the roughLostMeow is a jewel in the rough

Liked 87 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Theory: Women With Daughters Don't Need Husbands

hmm very interesting...

A woman carrying a girl anticipates that she won't need a husband

i can't really relate this... to have a baby no nid a husband to begin with... y nid to go thru the fuss to get married, hv baby gal and then divorce?

Old 9th September 2010, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PureNoob21 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but it's good for the child's development to have a father. (unless the father is abusive)

I <3 Java Chips
PureNoob21 is offline   Add to PureNoob21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
dorae178 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

^ i think so too...regardless of whether u have sons or daughters, it's still better to have a complete family...and they neglect to mention other possible environmental factors too?

and why the need to say things like "All over the world, boys hold marriages together, and girls break them up."... =/

Old 9th September 2010, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
dawgbyte will become famous soon enough

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

And the girl will grow up, have boyfriends, finally meet a keeper and marry him, and then move out. Doesn't really work to me.

dawgbyte is offline   Add to dawgbyte's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Locutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of lightLocutus is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts

I'm more concerned about women who do actually have such mindset will put on a huge emotional baggage onto their daughters. It becomes the daughters' responsibility to please their mum and fulfill their mum's emotional needs. No parents should ever do that.

Old 11th September 2010, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
New SGClubber
sanjools is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My own experince: women those have daughters are more trustworthy than those have sons

sanjools is offline   Add to sanjools's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
fgfmse is on a distinguished road

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do daughters cause divorces?

Married couples raising girls are more likely to split up than those raising boys. What's the explanation?

Economists noticed in 2003 that married couples with daughters have a greater chance of getting divorced than those with sons. And among pregnant unmarried couples, those having boys are more likely to tie the knot. For years, researchers assumed boys made marriages last, but a new theory flips that around: What if daughters are better at breaking up bad marriages? Here's a guide to the puzzling daughter-divorce conundrum:

What are the numbers?
Eonomists Gordon Dahl (University of Rochester) and Enrico Moretti (UCLA) analyzed three million U.S. birth and marriage records, and found that married couples with one daughter are almost 5 percent more likely to split up, versus those with one son. And the effect grew more pronounced with more offspring: parents of three girls are about 10 percent more likely to divorce than those with three boys. The numbers were even starker in other countries.

How did the researchers explain it?
The (male) economists focused on why boys might be an asset to marriages. Some of the theories, as laid out by Steven Landsburg in Slate: Men value sons more and are therefore more likely to stick around (or commit to sticking around) with a boy in the house; sons are more apt to fall apart emotionally when a father leaves, preventing him from doing so; or parents are held together by the belief that a boy needs a male role model in the house. "If you want to stay married," Landsburg concludes, "three of the most ominous words you'll ever hear are 'It's a girl.'"

Why are those theories flawed?
Keep in mind, says Notre Dame psychologist Anita E. Kelly in Psychology Today, 73 percent of divorces are instigated by the wife. So the question shouldn't be: "Why are fathers more likely to stick around for sons?" Rather, she says, we should ask: "Why are mothers of daughters divorcing more than mothers of sons?"

Does she offer any ideas?
Several, but they all boil down to: Mothers with daughters "don't need their husbands as much." She points to studies showing that sons "add to the daily workload of the parents," while daughters decrease it, and that females are better at offering social support than males. Add to these facts that daughters are more likely to stick around, Kelly says, and you can plausibly theorize that if a woman has a daughter, she knows she'll "never be lonely or without help," and is therefore more likely to exit a bad marriage.

Is that a new idea?
Not entirely. The Baltimore Sun's Susan Reimer points to an old proverb: "My son's my son till he hath got him a wife. But my daughter's my daughter all the days of her life."

Is either set of theories persuasive?
Looking at her husband, daughter, and son, Reimer says, Kelly's thesis "sounds about right to me." But Salon's Tracy Clark-Flory says that both sets of explanations are a little dehumanizing. "It's always disconcerting when researchers use percentages and averages to talk about complex human beings," she says. And while "these sorts of faceless generalizations about gender are... useful to a certain point," they should be taken with "a grain of salt."

http://theweek.com/article/index/206...cause-divorces

fgfmse is offline   Add to fgfmse's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Amulet has a spectacular aura about

actually, i find that
Mothers with daughters "don't need their husbands as much."
seems quite true..

daughters will be daughters even after they becomes mothers themselves.. this is why there is a much sang bond between a mother and daughter than a monther and son..

apart from the rebellious period which the teen will 'stray' away from the family and her mom, daughters will go shopping, reading, do some hobbies, cook, pack up the house, chat, comfort and bond with her mother regardless of her age.. this kind of 'activities' is lesser between mother and a grown up son.. especially after he is married.. what hokkien always say '儿时是母子, 长大后变成老婆的儿子'

personally, with my daughter around, i find it easier to cope when my BF have to go on frequent overseas trips.. i give her all my attention after work, and time flies like this..