Torres makes record move from Liverpool to Chelsea - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum > Soccer Forums > Liverpool Fan Club » Torres makes record move from Liverpool to Chelsea

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2011, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Torres makes record move from Liverpool to Chelsea

Chelsea have broken the British transfer record by paying a reported £50m to seal the capture of striker Fernando Torres from Liverpool.

The 26-year-old Spain international forward signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with the Blues.

"This is the target for every footballer - to try to play for one of the top clubs in the world," he said.

"They [Chelsea] are one of the biggest teams in Europe and are always fighting for everything."

The signing was pushed through shortly before the transfer deadline and came on a dramatic day, with Chelsea and Liverpool involved in the four biggest transfers of the day.

The Anfield club looked to plug the gap left by Torres leaving by signing two strikers - Uruguayan Luis Suarez from Ajax for £22.7m and Andy Carroll from Newcastle for £35m.

Chelsea also brought in Benfica defender David Luiz for a reported fee of £21.3m.

But it will be the capture of Torres that sends out the strongest message that the club remain a force to be reckoned with in the transfer market.

Torres, a World Cup winner in 2010 and European champion in 2008 with Spain, spent three-and-a-half years at Liverpool after joining from Atletico Madrid for a fee of £20m, scoring 81 goals in 142 matches.

"I'm so happy and proud to be here," added Torres, who is available to play in the Champions League having only featured in this season's Europa League and could face Liverpool in the league on Sunday.

"It's been two, three, four very hard days for me. I'm really happy - this is a great club. I'm prepared and ready for the challenge.

BIGGEST WORLD TRANSFERS

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (£80m)
Man Utd-Real Madrid (July 2009)

2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (£56.5m)
Inter Milan-Barcelona (July 2009)

3. Kaka (£56m)
AC Milan-Real Madrid (June 2009)

4. Fernando Torres (£50m)
Liverpool-Chelsea (Jan 2011)

"I know there are many great players here and I will work hard to win a place in the team.
"I am looking forward very much to helping my new team-mates this season and for many years to come.

"It's my dream to win the Champions League and I'm sure I can, playing for Chelsea."
Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti has selected both Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka up front in four of Chelsea's last five league games.

The defending champions' only defeat in that period - a 1-0 reverse against Wolves - came when Anelka started the match on the bench.

"I am a big fan of all of the Chelsea strikers," said Torres of his competition for a striking berth.

"When I was very young I remember Anelka was playing for Arsenal. Obviously Drogba is the best striker in the world by far.

"It is a big responsibility for me to play alongside them because the level they have is so high."

Torres becomes the fourth most expensive signing in world football behind Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kaka.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck added: "This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world with his peak years ahead of him.

"We have long admired the talents of a player who is a proven goalscorer in English football and Fernando's arrival is a sign of our continuing high ambitions. I hope every Chelsea fan is as excited as I am with this news."

The Reds rejected a £35m bid from Chelsea after Torres' transfer request was turned down on Friday.

Torres was brought to Anfield by fellow Spaniard Rafael Benitez in July 2007
But with Torres clearly intent on a move away from Anfield the Reds finally accepted defeat and cashed in on their prize asset.

Manager Kenny Dalglish said earlier on Monday: "Movement is part and parcel of football but the most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the ones who want to be here."

Liverpool had been angered by the timing of Torres' transfer request last week and reportedly believe the London club "tapped up" the player by encouraging him to express a desire to leave.

Torres had a £50m release clause in his contract that entitled him to leave if the Merseysiders, who are seventh in the Premier League, failed to qualify for the Champions League this season.

Torres, who signed a six-year contract when he joined the Reds, had been linked with Chelsea before.

The west Londoners were reported to be interested in luring the Spaniard from Anfield in the summer of 2008 and made a bid in May 2010, but after helping Spain win the World Cup in June, Torres pledged his future to Liverpool.

He said at the time: "My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed."

Torres notched three hat-tricks in his first season at Liverpool, scoring 33 goals in 46 appearances, and netted the winner as Spain beat Germany 1-0 to win the European Championship in 2008.

Hamstring injuries plagued him during the 2008-09 season but he still managed 17 goals in 38 games, while groin problems and knee surgery disrupted his 2009-10 campaign, although he still managed to find the net 22 times in 32 games.

Torres picked up a World Cup winners' medal with Spain but he failed to score during the finals in South Africa and pulled up with an abductor problem in the final, having come on as an 89th-minute substitute in the 1-0 victory over the Netherlands.

He has endured an indifferent 2010-11 season, scoring only nine goals in 26 games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ea/9380389.stm

Sponsors:

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*

Last edited by battleboy131; 1st February 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
xXshad0wXx is on a distinguished road

Re: Torres makes record move from Liverpool to Chelsea

chelsea pro pro!

xXshad0wXx is offline   Add to xXshad0wXx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Silly_God_Disco has a spectacular aura about

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

Liverpool is dead without Torres.

Old 1st February 2011, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
xXshad0wXx is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Silly_God_Disco View Post
no not true! they signed suarez who has a very good goal scoring record for his previous club ajax and andy carroll who is a young striker in the making with alr 11 goals in the epl

xXshad0wXx is offline   Add to xXshad0wXx's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
PureNoob21 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no difference, he's injured most of the time anyway.

I <3 Java Chips
PureNoob21 is offline   Add to PureNoob21's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Infinite will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureNoob21 View Post
Wonder why Chelsea spent so much on him...

Old 1st February 2011, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
Wonder why Chelsea spent so much on him...
i dont know either, if i were the manager i would spend that cash on aguero instead. i bet this was decided by abramovich (remember shevchenko?)

the attacking strength of chelsea would be damn near unstoppable (assuming everyone is on form), if he can somehow stay fit throughout the CL games, we have a great chance of finally winning it.

I <3 Java Chips

Last edited by PureNoob21; 1st February 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 1st February 2011, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Infinite will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dont know either, if i were the manager i would spend that cash on aguero instead. i bet this was decided by abramovich (remember shevchenko?)

the attacking strength of chelsea would be damn near unstoppable (assuming everyone is on form), if he can somehow stay fit throughout the CL games, we have a great chance of finally winning it.
I am very sure they brought in torres to replace Drogba within the next 2 seasons. But it sure is an expensive one.

Old 1st February 2011, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber
tcd is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, we have not being dead for the past 18 mths. We still got suarez & carroll and i hope both excel in the EPL(something tell me they will).

tcd is offline   Add to tcd's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
battleboy131 has a spectacular aura about

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I somehow quite happy we don't have to endure the injury times of torres.

* Please PM me of any english error I had made in any of my post. +Rep would be given*
battleboy131 is offline   Add to battleboy131's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think LFC also partly to blame for his injury -> Christian Purslow rushing him back to play and our previous owners lack of fund for players. And most of the time he playing up top alone easy target for defenders tackle (even worst under Roy) imo.
If he's fit & happy, i am very sure he will prove to be worth every 50M chelsea pay him for.

Last edited by tcd; 1st February 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 1st February 2011, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
SheIsNotPretty is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This made my day. But I'm sure Liverpool will do well without him.

Last edited by SheIsNotPretty; 1st February 2011 at 06:22 PM.
SheIsNotPretty is offline   Add to SheIsNotPretty's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Java Chips is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aguero is not for sale... he signed a five year contract ytd to make it clear..

Never in the bluest hell I thought I will see torres in a blue shirt..but not a bad catch though..maybe a lil exp..

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Old 1st February 2011, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
JetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really niceJetGrey is just really nice

Liked 181 Times in 129 Posts

Not his fault for wanting to move.. He moved to Liverpool for regular Champions' League football, something Atletico Madrid couldn't offer regularly.. Now that Liverpool is being the same, it's natural that he moves. If he could bring his heart to leave his boyhood club, it must be an easier decision to leave Liverpool.

JetGrey is offline   Add to JetGrey's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcd View Post
I think LFC also partly to blame for his injury -> Christian Purslow rushing him back to play and our previous owners lack of fund for players. And most of the time he playing up top alone easy target for defenders tackle (even worst under Roy) imo.
If he's fit & happy, i am very sure he will prove to be worth every 50M chelsea pay him for.
yeah because of the lack of other options at liverpool. not going to happen at chelsea though. when he needs a break, i'm sure he'll get one.

PureNoob21 added 0 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Originally Posted by Java Chips View Post
Aguero is not for sale... he signed a five year contract ytd to make it clear..
nah contracts nowadays dont mean that much. there are people who sign contracts and are sold away half a season later.

I <3 Java Chips

Last edited by PureNoob21; 1st February 2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Post Bumping
Old 1st February 2011, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Liked 397 Times in 313 Posts

it is an obvious choice and decision for torres. Liverpool is not going anywhere and if Torres wants to revive his career, he needs to move and be like Gerrard who is forever stuck already.

however, whether it is a worthwhile spending by chelsea is hard to say. Many big moves don't make the impact most expect them too. At the end of the day, it is more abt chemistry with the team than individual skill that matters. Look at Man Utd & Barca and you know. Then look at Man City, R.Madrid....

Old 1st February 2011, 07:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick View Post
it is an obvious choice and decision for torres. Liverpool is not going anywhere and if Torres wants to revive his career, he needs to move and be like Gerrard who is forever stuck already.

however, whether it is a worthwhile spending by chelsea is hard to say. Many big moves don't make the impact most expect them too. At the end of the day, it is more abt chemistry with the team than individual skill that matters. Look at Man Utd & Barca and you know. Then look at Man City, R.Madrid....
tbh Torres want a quick fix, meaning splashing on money to buy top quality players aka Chelsea/City style (due to his age now and his thirst for trophy, remember he quit his boyhood club) but our new owners had already made it clear, they will invest on new talent young players for long term, not quick fix that why he decided to move (part of a reason also). There are rumours that torres speak with the new owners after the takeover and the new owners already tell him their policy.

Last edited by tcd; 1st February 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Jaws is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forget Torres, who needs Torres when we have Carroll and Suarez... I think they make a good pair.

Jaws is offline   Add to Jaws's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
tcd
Addicted SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JetGrey View Post
Not his fault for wanting to move.. He moved to Liverpool for regular Champions' League football, something Atletico Madrid couldn't offer regularly.. Now that Liverpool is being the same, it's natural that he moves. If he could bring his heart to leave his boyhood club, it must be an easier decision to leave Liverpool.
yup that's true, if someone can leave their boyhood club for glory, it will be an easier decision to leave any team. Look at the interview when he join liverpool and then the interview for chelsea, similar right?

Old 1st February 2011, 07:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Java Chips is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nah contracts nowadays dont mean that much. there are people who sign contracts and are sold away half a season later.
Yea.. Andy Carroll...But at least means means he will not move in this transfer window..