Warm welcome for Jia Jia and Kai Kai - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Travel Talk > Singapore Tourism » Warm welcome for Jia Jia and Kai Kai

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Warm welcome for Jia Jia and Kai Kai

Warm welcome for Jia Jia and Kai Kai
04:46 AM Sep 07, 2012

SINGAPORE - Panda fever gripped the Republic yesterday as Singaporeans of all ages gathered at the Singapore Zoo to welcome the giant panda pair, Jia Jia and Kai Kai.

Guests of honour Teo Ser Luck (2nd from left) and SR Nathan (2nd from right) welcoming the pandas. Photo by NICHOLAS YEO

Armed with paper cut-outs in the shape of panda paws, about 500 students from pre- and primary schools - and some parents - waited eagerly for their arrival from the airport.

The pandas are in Singapore on a 10-year loan from the Chinese government to mark two decades of strong ties between China and Singapore.

Kai Kai and Jia Jia arrived on a Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 cargo freighter yesterday morning with a team of five keepers and vets from both countries.

Extra care was taken to minimise stress for the animals, with the departure and arrival times scheduled to reduce climate-related discomfort.

Fruits, water and about 90kg of bamboo were brought on board for their meals. Wildlife Reserves Singapore also brought along bamboo from Guangzhou in case they needed time to adjust to the taste of locally-grown bamboo.

The pandas will be quarantined for a month and then given time to settle into their new home at the River Safari before the exhibit opens at the end of the year.

Singapore is the ninth country to host pandas from China since 1994.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...ia-and-Kai-Kai

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chocolate or Coffee
LoneLyBy2 will become famous soon enough

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Warm welcome for Jia Jia and Kai Kai

The panda so cute~

*Have fun in SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*

Last edited by LoneLyBy2; 7th September 2012 at 09:28 AM.
LoneLyBy2 is offline   Add to LoneLyBy2's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
-Mathematics will become famous soon enough

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Are there other cargo inside the freighter or is it just only the both of the panda + five other people?

Old 7th September 2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Pandas making babies - that's the 'KPI'

Pandas making babies - that's the 'KPI'

An environment that would help their love affair to blossom would have to be created.

Victoria Barker
Fri, Sep 07, 2012
my paper

The upcoming River Safari attraction yesterday welcomed two "beary" special additions, with the arrival of giant pandas Kai Kai and Jia Jia from Chengdu, China.

Kai Kai is male and turns five next Friday, while Jia Jia is a four-year-old female.

The pair - on a 10-year loan from the Chinese government to mark 20 years of close ties between Singapore and China - were on board a Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 cargo freighter that touched down at 8.20am at Changi Airport's JetQuay CIP (Commercially Important Persons) terminal.

Once unloaded, parts of the covers for the pandas' custommade crates were lifted to reveal the pair, which appeared sprightly despite the almost five-hour flight.

They poked their noses between the crates' metal bars and gazed at photographers as they faced a welcome party of about 100 people. The group included Minister of State for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck, who posed for photos.

Mr Teo said that having the pandas mate is a KPI, or key performance indicator. But, like Singapore's "challenges when it comes to procreation", such things cannot be controlled. He added that "it's more important to make sure they live comfortably and well in Singapore".

The pandas were then transported in a temperature-controlled truck to their new home - the River Safari's Giant Panda Forest, a 1,500 sq m enclosure costing $8.6 million.

They were welcomed by almost 1,000 guests and staff of Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS).

The two pandas will be quarantined in a den for a month before being released into the enclosure for them to get used to it. The public will be able to view the two by December, even though the River Safari opens officially next year.

WRS chairman Claire Chiang told reporters on the sidelines of the welcome ceremony at the airport that the pandas have been warming up to their Singaporean carers.

They include the River Safari's assistant director of zoology, Mr Ang Cheng Chye, who has spent time in China with the animals.

"Just yesterday, Kai Kai was lying on the ground quite lazily. When (Mr Ang) called, he got up and went to him... He recognised his voice," she said.

She added that just as is done in their China home, the pandas will likely undergo medical examinations on the fifth, 15th and 25th of each month, to monitor their health and behaviour.

As for the possibility of the "celebrity couple" mating, Ms Chiang said she is hopeful.

She said an environment that would help their love affair to blossom would have to be created, adding: "We can't direct nature (but) we can ...facilitate the best environment for them."

Source: http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...07-370073.html

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sellRAGEanarchy has a spectacular aura about

Liked 44 Times in 44 Posts

panda monium

Thank you (^_^)/
sellRAGEanarchy is offline   Add to sellRAGEanarchy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
By2
V.l.P SGClubber
By2 is just really niceBy2 is just really nice

Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts

MY LOVELY PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS

By2 is offline   Add to By2's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★
EightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of lightEightyOne is a glorious beacon of light

Liked 293 Times in 260 Posts

EightyOne is offline   Add to EightyOne's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Giant pandas get rousing welcome at Singapore Zoo

Giant pandas get rousing welcome at Singapore Zoo

By Vimita Mohandas, Qiuyi Tan
Posted: 06 September 2012 1533 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singaporeans of all ages gathered at the Singapore Zoo to give a rousing welcome to the giant panda couple, Jia Jia and Kai Kai on Thursday morning.

Excited visitors at the zoo taking photographs of the receiving ceremony of Jia Jia and Kai Kai. (Hester Tan, channelnewsasia.com)

Armed with paper cut-outs in the shape of panda paws, about 500 students from pre- and primary schools waited eagerly for their arrival from the airport.

At around 10.30am, the giant pandas made their grand entrance to roaring cheers.

Even though the panda lovers couldn't actually see the pandas, they were just as excited about being there as the gentle giants arrived.

"They are big and cute and fluffy!" exclaimed a young student, referring to the pandas.

The adults were also soaking up the atmosphere.

"I'm joining my daughter with the school to come (to the zoo)," said a parent. "I was so surprised to see the grand receiving ceremony for the pandas."

"I'm very glad they are here," commented another parent. "I think it's a great bridge between China and Singapore."

The pandas will be quarantined for a month, and then they will be given time to settle into their new home at the River Safari.

Minister of State for Trade and Industry Mr Teo Ser Luck affirmed the popularity of the "celebrity couple".

"I must say that even before they set foot in Singapore, Kai Kai and Jia Jia have already captured the hearts and minds of many Singaporeans, who have been eagerly awaiting their arrival," said Mr Teo.

"I recall when I visited them at the Ya'an Bifengxia Panda Base four months ago, I received so many questions on when they would be coming."

The pandas can be viewed by members of the public at the end of the year.

Singapore is the ninth country to host pandas from China since 1994.

Ms Claire Chiang, who chairs the Wildlife Reserves (Singapore), said there are plans to expand Singapore's role in the conservation programme.

"Maybe Singapore would host a conference next year during the anniversary of the River Safari, to seriously look at the findings of respective countries. I think we could all learn from one another on the adaptability of the pandas," she said.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...224363/1/.html

Old 7th September 2012, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
New SGClubber
joiexiang is on a distinguished road

welcome. but so poor that the pandas are in cage. they feel so frustrate...

joiexiang is offline   Add to joiexiang's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Joan Ong is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

they arrived in singapore!

Last edited by Joan Ong; 7th September 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Joan Ong is offline   Add to Joan Ong's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Espirit d'escalier
The Rain Man is on a distinguished road

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I honestly can't wait to have a look at them once the River Safari officially opens!

Old 7th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Vampire Lover ﺕ
SkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really niceSkyedAngel is just really nice

Liked 168 Times in 141 Posts

So cuteee

SkyedAngel is offline   Add to SkyedAngel's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Jia Jia documents her journey from China to Singapore

Jia Jia documents her journey from China to Singapore

(L) Kai Kai the male panda and (R) Jia Jia the female panda (Photo / Wildlife Reserves Singapore)

inSing.com - 6 September 2012 10:12 AM | Updated 4:12 PM

Ni hao. People tell me I look like I haven't slept for 10 years.

That is about the period of time I will be spending in Singapore with my mate, Kai Kai.

Trust me, we sleep, and will be sleeping, quite a bit. So I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that. Especially those cosmetic companies who use the line to sell their products, saying things like, “Get rid of panda eyes.”

That's not a desirable look for human beings, I suspect.

But look here, I am writing this to mark and record my maiden journey from my homeland to Singapore, so even if I look weird to you, don’t squeal it to my face first thing you see me. A girl can be thinking about such things for days, especially since I do like to pose in front of the camera.

We also don’t like squeals. Or noise. I know it is hard for you to believe. Except when we hear our keeper snapping bamboo for us.

I am not sure why people call us “adorable” or “cute” though. We are animals. Some days, when we feel like it, we whack things. We can be rough. That’s just the way we are. Looks are deceitful. Yes, even panda eyes.

What else do you want to know about us? I love to climb trees and have my lunch up high, enjoying the breeze. Kai Kai also likes to eat, and he is friendlier than I am. I can be quite reserved. He is also called "Onionhead" because he has a tuft of hair on his head that sticks out.

Check out other facts about Giant Pandas here.

When I woke up one day, Kai Kai told me about our move. I had mixed feelings. I couldn’t believe it because it sounded exciting. But I was also afraid of the unknown, if we will be able to adjust to a foreign place. We will be, gulp, foreigners!

He was sweet enough to arrange a flight for us by Singapore Airlines. He knows I like the good stuff.

When I asked why we were going to Singapore, he explained to me that there are not many of us around anymore – there are fewer than 1,600 of giant pandas left in the wild - and the good people at the Wildlife Reserves Singapore want to ensure we thrive, and, erm, make babies. They are working to promote giant panda research and conservation with similar-minded people from the China Wildlife Conservation Association.

Before we boarded the Singapore Airlines Cargo Boeing 747-400 freighter at the Chengdu airport, our friends gave us an amazing farewell. I almost cried. They even loaded our cabin with 90kg of homegrown bamboo, as well as fruit and water to help us through the six-hour flight.

The adrenalin kicked in. When Kai Kai and I finally boarded the plane, I felt pan-tastic!

The best part was how comfy it was even in the crate. The cabin temperature was between 18 and 22°C, just like our natural habitat in Sichuan. A team of keepers and vets from both China and Singapore also kept us company on the flight. The Singapore keepers have been spending time with us for a couple of years now.

Singapore Airlines and SilkAir are also providing air tickets for training and exchange programmes involving zookeepers, veterinarians and researchers from both Singapore and China.

Our journey was so smooth because we were sitting in the most stable (middle) part of the plane. Kai Kai was asleep all the way, but I was eating my butt off.

RIVER SAFARI

I was also thinking about our new home, if it would be spacious. Space is a premium in Singapore, I heard. They said we would be in a “climate-controlled zone” in the River Safari near the zoo.

Why is it called the River Safari? I cannot wait to find out myself. From what I heard, it is because the area is designed to a river theme, so well-known rivers from around the world are featured in the landscape, such as Yangtze, Congo, Ganges, Mekong Mississippi, Murray and Nile.

Guess which “river” is next to my pad? If you guess right, Kai Kai may do some squats to strengthen his hind legs. He needs strong legs to mate with me. My mind wanders.

I hope our neighbours wouldn't mind us. Based on unconfirmed reports of what people are like here, I am hoping they won’t complain that China nationals are noisy, dirty and take away their husbands, CPF savings, jobs, and Olympic medals.

Upon arrival at about 8.20am, we could see many people greeting us. You couldn’t see it but Kai Kai was blushing. Singaporeans were so happy to see us. We felt like rock stars.

There were cameras everywhere and people were watching us being moved around via live streaming on the River Safari website.

We left the airport in a special temperature-controlled truck. As we passed some locations, we saw miniature versions of Kai Kai and I. It was weird. They have plush toys, t-shirts and all kinds of merchandise. Who knows, we may get our own Facebook page.

If we are such celebrities, I really have to ask the River Safari management if they can let us keep a mirror under the rock. After our month-long quarantine, maybe.

Do I really look like I haven't slept for 10 years?

Come check me out for yourself around December.

(Journey imagined by Sadat Osman, with information from Singapore Airlines and Wildlife Reserves Singapore.)

Source: http://news.insing.com/tabloid/jia-j...re/id-025e3f00

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *StarDust* For This Useful Post:
Gaga_ (7th September 2012), Joan Ong (8th September 2012)
Old 7th September 2012, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
On Life's Edge has a spectacular aura about

Liked 65 Times in 49 Posts
Re: Pandas making babies - that's the 'KPI'

Originally Posted by *StarDust* View Post
The pandas were then transported in a temperature-controlled truck to their new home - the River Safari's Giant Panda Forest, a 1,500 sq m enclosure costing $8.6 million.
Thot "they" say land in Singapore is scarce.........so why is that they are capable of having two pandas live in a property worth 5 times more than mine, and have a bigger land space then mine?

The next time a local says we are treated like "animals" - I would reply "Man, you must be living in luxury."

On Life's Edge is offline   Add to On Life's Edge's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Andrew_Chris28 is just really niceAndrew_Chris28 is just really nice

Liked 169 Times in 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneLyBy2 View Post

The panda so cute~
All pandas are cute =) Esp, JJ & KK =)

Old 7th September 2012, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by Joan Ong View Post
wa! they arrived in singapore!
Can't wait to visit them, heard it is in Nov/Dec that the red carpet will bring out for them =)

Old 7th September 2012, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
Joan Ong is on a distinguished road

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew_Chris28 View Post
Can't wait to visit them, heard it is in Nov/Dec that the red carpet will bring out for them =)
ya. should be around december...

Last edited by Joan Ong; 7th September 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Joan Ong is offline   Add to Joan Ong's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by Joan Ong View Post
ya. should be around december...
Wowww!!! Excites

As an animal lover myself, visiting JJ and KK is a must must

Old 7th September 2012, 08:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
sellRAGEanarchy has a spectacular aura about

Liked 44 Times in 44 Posts

i think the animal kingdom in sg also excited to receive the bears

Thank you (^_^)/
sellRAGEanarchy is offline   Add to sellRAGEanarchy's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber

Originally Posted by sellRAGEanarchy View Post
i think the animal kingdom in sg also excited to receive the bears
Yup, lovable animals =)