Weightlifting: Leg-up for Singapore weightlifters - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum » Weightlifting: Leg-up for Singapore weightlifters

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2011, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts
Weightlifting: Leg-up for Singapore weightlifters

Weightlifting: Leg-up for Singapore weightlifters

By Philip Goh Haw Hann, TODAY
Posted: 10 August 2011 0622 hrs

SINGAPORE: It has been 18 years since he won the last of his 10 SEA Games medals and former weightlifting champion Sarvinder Singh Chopra still wants to give back to the sport.

Former weightlifter Sarvinder Singh with a photo from the 1981 Manila SEA Games where he won two golds and a silver. (Photo by Philip GOH - TODAY)

After reading TODAY's report last week that Singapore's weightlifters have been training for a month without a coach, the 59-year-old businessman offered his services to help guide Helena Wong and Lewis Chua for free.

The 26th SEA Games will be held in Jakarta and Palembang from Nov 11 to 22.

While Wong has qualified for the Games, Chua is awaiting the outcome of an appeal to see if he will be on the plane.

Said Sarvinder: "I'm pleased to see the sport's revival after so many years and I know the kind of training that is needed while preparing for competition.

"The last three months before a Games is crucial because it's the time to step up the technical aspects of training and fine- tune your lifting techniques. I am not looking to change things for the lifters, but I believe with my experience, I can help them progress and peak for the SEA Games."

Chinese coach Wu Chuanfu went home early last month to tend to personal matters and only returned to Singapore last Saturday.

Singapore Weightlifting Federation (SWF) president Tom Liaw feels Sarvinder could help. "I'm pleased to hear a former champion volunteering his services. We'd like to get in touch with him and find out how best he can contribute," he said.

Former strongman Sarvinder donned Singapore colours at five SEA Games and competed in an unprecedented three different disciplines - athletics, judo and weightlifting.

At the 1973 SEAP Games, the first time the Republic hosted the biennial meet, Sarvinder took part in the discus. In the 1977 SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur, he competed in judo and weightlifting.

By the time he retired in 1983, when a motorcycle accident left him with a broken arm, he had bagged three golds, six silvers and one bronze, all in weightlifting.

He is still listed in the Singapore record books for hoisting a combined 252.5kg in the super-heavyweight (over 110kg) class at the 1981 Manila Games.

Wong, 23, will compete in the 53kg-and-below class at the SEA Games and Liaw said the SWF are firming up a training stint in China for her.

Chua's participation hinges on a Singapore National Olympic Council appeals committee decision later this month. The 20-year-old failed to meet the qualifying mark for the superheavyweight category (over 105kg) by 9kg, but Sarvinder hopes he will be in Indonesia.

"It's quite an achievement for him to be lifting 281kg right now and he can only continue to improve," Sarvinder said. "I won't be surprised to see him contending for a medal if he's allowed to go."

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...146093/1/.html

Sponsors:
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote