YOG in world's media - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Personal Interests > Sports Forum > Special Sports Events > Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Forum » YOG in world's media

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2010, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts
YOG in world's media

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_569114.html

Games carried by 166 broadcasters worldwide, and is a hit on YouTube

TORCH bearer Darren Choy's walk on water, the sheer promise of teen talent, and Singapore's sleek skyline have caught the world's attention since the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG) kicked off last weekend.

A number of newspapers and TV channels in Asia and the West are paying more than a fleeting homage to the displays of the world's finest sporting talent in the making.

International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge said he was delighted by the television coverage and the YouTube hits garnered by the YOG.

'I'm very happy with the television coverage because we've been able to sign contracts with 166 broadcasters in so many countries,' he told The Straits Times at the Youth Olympic Village yesterday.

'The day before yesterday, we were the third most-watched item on YouTube in the world... that's something.'

China, a country known for its sporting prowess, is giving the Games play-by-play coverage.

State broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) telecast the opening ceremony live and since then has been beaming nine hours of action daily on its CCTV5 sports channel.

State news agency Xinhua and national newspapers like People's Daily and China Youth Daily have dispatched a contingent of reporters to Singapore.

The surprise is that even provincial papers like the Guangzhou Daily and the Nanjing Daily have boots on the ground.

The heightened interest is at least partly because the YOG torch next passes to Nanjing.

In Taiwan, the main news outlets such as United Daily News, China Times and the Central News Agency are more narrowly focused on the exploits of the 36-member Chinese Taipei delegation.

The reports are carried in the sports pages on most days, but on Wednesday, weightlifter Kuo Hsing-chun made front page news when she gave Taiwan its first medal, a silver.

The Japanese media is known to turn a blind eye even to the Asian Games or the Commonwealth Games unless a world record or a Japanese record is broken.

But Yomiuri Shimbun and Asahi Shimbun, the largest vernacular dailies, sat up when Japanese triathlete Yuka Sato bagged the first gold of the YOG. They have been running pictures daily, as well as short write-ups of the day's highlights.

The interest of the Indian media, including The Times of India and The Hindu, revolves around the fortunes of the national team. The coverage is thin, although New Delhi is itself preparing to host the Commonwealth Games in a few weeks.

In the Philippines, the two main broadsheets - The Philippine Daily Inquirer and The Philippine Star - have been playing up basketball, the nation's favourite sport. The Filipinos' narrow loss to the Spaniards was the lead sports story in The Philippine Star on Wednesday.

After splashing the opening ceremony, the Indonesian, Malaysian and Thai media tapered off their coverage - save for the performance of national athletes and some celebrity moments, like Monaco's Princess Stephanie watching her daughter dive.

But quite apart from the tales of little-known teenagers stoking national pride with their grace and grit, the YOG is being watched for the lessons it holds for future hosts.

On the eve of the YOG, The Advertiser, an Adelaide tabloid, led off a one-page curtain-raiser with this poser: 'The question on many South Australian lips will be: Could we do this?'

It said the city officials will assess the success of the Singapore YOG before considering a bid.

The Age, the Daily Telegraph, the Herald Sun and others are featuring the Games in scoreboards, snippets and occasional pictures to cater to sports-mad Australians.

The Guardian, The Independent and most other British dailies are paying special attention, because of the forthcoming London 2012 Olympics.

The Washington Post, not normally persuaded to run any sports story that is not about the American football team Redskins, put up a story on track-and-field athlete Olivia Ekpone on its Sports section cover, albeit at the bottom. She competed in the 200m dash on Thursday and will go on to London 2012.

The New York Times pounced on the controversial Iranian pullout from a taekwondo final against an Israeli.

The BBC and, to a lesser extent, CNN are also giving sporadic coverage to the YOG on their bulletins and websites.

Sponsors:

Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts
Re: YOG in world's media

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
The Age, the Daily Telegraph, the Herald Sun and others are featuring the Games in scoreboards, snippets and occasional pictures to cater to sports-mad Australians.
oh really..

http://news.theage.com.au/sport

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport

I don't see any YOG headlines.. maybe i'm blind.

There's the occasional snippet when an Aussie wins, but other than that they are more interested in AFL, cricket and rugby.

nowadays have to read the states times with a teaspoon of salt.

and so on to viscosity.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
orange123 is on a distinguished road

they win medal then they report

Old 21st August 2010, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
weightp is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dont ssem to see USA flag, did they compete?

weightp is offline   Add to weightp's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
Ƥҽɾϲҽքէìօղ will become famous soon enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Papers,propaganda,censorship,sake of a good story.

Blah papers.

Old 21st August 2010, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
orange123 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by weightp View Post
ya,only some sports also they won a Judo gold medal today too

Old 22nd August 2010, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
InfiniteJustice is a jewel in the roughInfiniteJustice is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by weightp View Post
i remember a while back, the USA said that s'pore sport venue have no standard or something like that !

Old 22nd August 2010, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Songwriter
theliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to beholdtheliverevoluti is a splendid one to behold

Liked 179 Times in 124 Posts

Originally Posted by typeX View Post
oh really..

http://news.theage.com.au/sport

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport

I don't see any YOG headlines.. maybe i'm blind. .
Probably in the printed version of the paper - the prints get more revenue.

Most newspapers won't give you the full newspaper online. They'll give you snippets here and there, and expect you to read the rest in print

Old 22nd August 2010, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
the world is my bed and the sky is my blanket
xiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nicexiaoming01 is just really nice

Liked 147 Times in 123 Posts

this is something to me

1. YOG is a success
2. singapore make YOG success
3. our elite make YOG a success
4. its just another 'creation of media' just like how it made the camera focus with only the people in the stadium to give others an impression that its crowded

xiaoming01 is offline   Add to xiaoming01's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
christmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant futurechristmas_ has a brilliant future

Liked 523 Times in 453 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteJustice View Post
i remember a while back, the USA said that s'pore sport venue have no standard or something like that !
US is just a country who still thinks have lots of power, in terms of military, social, economic

Unfortunately China's catching up and in fact I think US could be bankrupt if China withdraws all the money in US

christmas_ is offline   Add to christmas_'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted SGClubber
RedEyesFan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmas_ View Post
US is just a country who still thinks have lots of power, in terms of military, social, economic

Unfortunately China's catching up and in fact I think US could be bankrupt if China withdraws all the money in US
then we will have WW3.

and hell,
we still dont have mechs to fight in war.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/08...l-medias-eyes/

RedEyesFan is offline   Add to RedEyesFan's Reputation Reply With Quote