Help Your Opinion is Needed - Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Sitemap Contact Us FAQ Singapore Forums by SGClub.com
Home Photos Member List Register Mark Forums Read  
Go Back Home > Lifestyle > Workplace and Business Forum » Help: Your Opinion is Needed

Why aren't you a member of SGClub.com yet??

» Join 130,000+ other members in chatting.
» Make lots of new friends here.
» Keep up-to-date with current events.
» Participate in Club outings.
» Download lots of Free Stuff!

Registration just takes 2mins and is absolutely free so join our community today!

I Want to Choose my Own Personal Nickname Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2011, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber
AriesTrio is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your Opinion is Needed

Well...I am in a difficult situation right now...2 choices for me to choose. Please let me know, if you were me, what will you do

I am currently working in a very flexible company. Where I can wear anything I want, no restrictions, I can use internet if I have nothing to do, etc etc. But the problem is, I have almost NOTHING to do in that 9 hours and a half EVERYDAY.

I was thinking of changing a job since they didn't really mean to teach me anything. So I found a job, went for an interview, that person is keen with me. The pay is relatively lower over there but it has better benefits and the job scope is something I wish I can do.

If you were me, will you give up this high salary, nothing-to-do job OR another?

Well some of my friends said I am stupid enough to think of quitting because getting paid when you are doing nothing is actually a dream most of them have

What will you guys do?

Sponsors:
Old 24th May 2011, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Stanstan is just really niceStanstan is just really niceStanstan is just really nice

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Your Opinion is Needed

Neither for both of your options.

If I'm you, I will continue to look for a job opporturnity that offers me what I want to do, including a higher salary. I mean, no matter how enthusiastic we can be towards our work, ultimately it's because of money that serves as the main driving factor. If you hop to a job with a relatively lower pay, somehow you will lose part of your motivation. The worse thing that can happen is that after you hop to this new company, it might end up not giving you what you want since you haven't start working there yet, you won't know.

My 2cents.

Old 24th May 2011, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
workingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to allworkingtoohard is a name known to all

Liked 174 Times in 130 Posts

^ what he said. keep looking till you at least find one that values you above your current salary.

Old 24th May 2011, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
xeroone has a spectacular aura about

Liked 24 Times in 24 Posts

It's entirely depends on your choice I feel. If you are in need of money, then of course stick to your current one that lets you earn money while doing almost no work. But of course when the company is looking to cut costs, you are probably the first on the list to go.

On the other hand, when there is something better to learn elsewhere, why not? If the pay difference is not too drastic, I would suggest taking up the other job since its a good learning opportunity for you.

xeroone is offline   Add to xeroone's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
namelessname is a jewel in the roughnamelessname is a jewel in the rough

Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts

For me, who is more adventurous of a nature, i would likely to take the new job. However, there are a few things i would consider before quitting my job.
1: Would the new salary able to substain what i need. This is the basic requirements for any job. And remember substain also include the monthly saving that you want.
2: Do weigh about as many factors as you can. Not just about the benefits and salary. Weigh about the prospect of that career, weigh about the possible culture in that company (sometimes it is the people that makes your job miserable, not the nature of your job scope), weigh about the travel distance, weigh about the possible ot (some jobs need you to do OT frequently). Just try to weigh as many as possible. But for me, i am more of an adventure guy, so this point does not really affect me too much cuz i believe i can blend in to most of the environment.
3: If you really plan to make this as your career for life, go and check out the average starting pay. What some people may advice you is that get the desire job with the current pay, Of course everybody knows that, but in reality, it may not be practical. If the nature of an executive of that job average pay is $1800, and currently your job is $2500, do you think the boss will hire you for $2500 if you have no related experience? In fact, to tell you the truth, if you plan to switch field with no much profile, be prepared to experience a pay cut.

Overall, it is still down to you that are you ready to forgo this high pay salary and resign your fate to average pay? If so, i would take the new job, cause that will be the one that last me forever. But if you know that you have this habit of 3minute warming up, den do consider again.

namelessname is offline   Add to namelessname's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
totally Awesome
DevilH is a jewel in the roughDevilH is a jewel in the rough

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

hold on to ur current job and wait for better opportunity

DevilH is offline   Add to DevilH's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of*StarDust* has much to be proud of

Liked 349 Times in 307 Posts

Yes, I believe holding on to the current job, while looking for better opportunities make more sense.

Do not rush into this, or you might regret later.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth". - 1 John 3:18
*StarDust* is offline   Add to *StarDust*'s Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woah. Thank you for your opinion!
Yes, I work as an executive, in Sales, but this new jobs is Marketing, and because I don't have much experience, there's a pay cut of $70!
$70 is alot! Considering it can cover up my transportation fees everyday, not forgetting the transport fee is ridiculously expensive now

Old 24th May 2011, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Experienced SGClubber
Stanstan is just really niceStanstan is just really niceStanstan is just really nice

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AriesTrio View Post
Woah. Thank you for your opinion!
Yes, I work as an executive, in Sales, but this new jobs is Marketing, and because I don't have much experience, there's a pay cut of $70!
$70 is alot! Considering it can cover up my transportation fees everyday, not forgetting the transport fee is ridiculously expensive now
Hmm.. are you doing Inside-Sales? I thought usually outdoor-Sales will have transport allowance.

But anyway back to the main topic, $70 paycut is not really that significant if you ask me, however since you had more experience now, you should be offered higher. Look for an employer that values your experience yeah. Don't rush into decisions. Moreover I always refer Sales/Marketing together (just like Accounting/Finance, Engineer/Technician etc) since they worked hand in hand, so Sales should be considered as a relevant experience when you switch over to Marketing.

Good luck.

Old 24th May 2011, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanstan View Post
Hmm.. are you doing Inside-Sales? I thought usually outdoor-Sales will have transport allowance.

But anyway back to the main topic, $70 paycut is not really that significant if you ask me, however since you had more experience now, you should be offered higher. Look for an employer that values your experience yeah. Don't rush into decisions. Moreover I always refer Sales/Marketing together (just like Accounting/Finance, Engineer/Technician etc) since they worked hand in hand, so Sales should be considered as a relevant experience when you switch over to Marketing.

Good luck.
I do inside sales.
Anyway, to what some of my friends told me, they say it is Important if you are able to work in a reputation company. It is best to hop to a company that is famous and well-known. The current company I am working in, is a local company. Which... well...

Old 24th May 2011, 01:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
New SGClubber
seaniie is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I were you I hold on to my current job. At the same time look for something better.

Old 26th May 2011, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
freezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to allfreezer_w is a name known to all

Liked 85 Times in 67 Posts

Lower is how much lower? is there a possibility that they would raise it after confirmation or promotion?

Staying stagnant in a job is very much frustration, but of cos many people won't be able to understand it because they see it as a dream job.

*Have fun on SGClub but pls READ the RULES, Report Bad Posts and Give Reputation to Good Ones!*
freezer_w is offline   Add to freezer_w's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 09:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Emosan
Emolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to beholdEmolisher is a splendid one to behold

Liked 154 Times in 109 Posts

If you want to move on to another phrase of your life, i would suggest you to get out of your comfort zone you are experiencing right now and find something more challenging and rewarding

Emolisher is offline   Add to Emolisher's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool SGClubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freezer_w View Post
Lower is how much lower? is there a possibility that they would raise it after confirmation or promotion?

Staying stagnant in a job is very much frustration, but of cos many people won't be able to understand it because they see it as a dream job.
$70? LOL
Yeah, I know the feeling of frustration. -_- I rather use that time to do something meaningful.

Originally Posted by Emolisher
If you want to move on to another phrase of your life, i would suggest you to get out of your comfort zone you are experiencing right now and find something more challenging and rewarding
And yes, I did. LOL!

Old 26th May 2011, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
New SGClubber
soniceangels is on a distinguished road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanstan View Post
Neither for both of your options.

If I'm you, I will continue to look for a job opporturnity that offers me what I want to do, including a higher salary. I mean, no matter how enthusiastic we can be towards our work, ultimately it's because of money that serves as the main driving factor. If you hop to a job with a relatively lower pay, somehow you will lose part of your motivation. The worse thing that can happen is that after you hop to this new company, it might end up not giving you what you want since you haven't start working there yet, you won't know.

My 2cents.
I think what Stanstan says makes sense. you should not compromise the pay for more work. It does happen many times that staff is underpaid.

soniceangels is offline   Add to soniceangels's Reputation Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
logging off
typeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to beholdtypeX is a splendid one to behold

Liked 312 Times in 239 Posts

wow.. i wish i could have that flexibility and freedom, without the 9.5hrs.
Actually, if u divide it and count the $$ per hour, is your current job really higher paying?

my personal experience:

never do a job that you do not enjoy, or see yourself doing it for a very long time.
when your heart is not there, it's tedious to go through everyday.

and so on to viscosity.
typeX is offline   Add to typeX's Reputation Reply With Quote